Another attempt to locate the exact position of "A Harvest of Death".

I have wondered recently if anyone has done an analysis of the trampled ground on which they lie. Wheat? Grass? Barley? Some of the maps are pretty specific about what was planted; if it was, say, a wheat field, that might help narrow things down—or eliminate improbabilities?

I told them that the pictures were taken somewhere on the Gettysburg battlefield but no one could pinpoint them, and I asked them for their opinions based on our time on the battlefield.
If you can do that then just force them to watch the video in my signature below.

I have wondered recently if anyone has done an analysis of the trampled ground on which they lie. Wheat? Grass? Barley? Some of the maps are pretty specific about what was planted; if it was, say, a wheat field, that might help narrow things down—or eliminate improbabilities?
It's definitely some sort of wheat or wheat derivative though I'm no botanist. Just select the high resolution .TIF file from the dropdown box from the Library of Congress website and download that and zoom around in it and you can see it's clearly that. What that information definitively tells you is that the soldiers were fighting in something they would describe as wheat or oats or hay, even if maps have errors (which they sometimes do). The crop would likely have been near maturity (tall) July 1st. They weren't in the middle of on orchard or in someone's back yard, certainly not where tents are probably later thrown up for an army commander's HQ.

I need to delete all of my previous posts. I just returned from the field and my location did not match up this time so ignore all my previous posts.

I again searched all over the rose farm area, the peach orchard, near berdan's avenue and even the approach of Wilcox's brigade as it advanced south along seminary ridge to face berdan, even went to Scott hartwig's suggested place. none of the places matched up. even used photos from frassanito's "early photography at Gettysburg" for confirmation purposes. darn it. where is this place?

Back