Announcing the Completion of a Wheeling Ambulance for the Starkville Civil War Arsenal

After a period of over two years I am pleased to announce that the Wheeling Ambulance built for the Starkville Civil War Arsenal has been completed and is on display for viewing. Visitors can make an appointment to come see the ambulance and other artillery rolling stock by going to the website StarkvilleCivilWarArsenal.com and making an apppointment. You can view the ambulance online by clicking on "Project Completed" . Hope you enjoy your visit.

1551369597235.png

Last edited by a moderator:
After a period of over two years I am pleased to announce that the Wheeling Ambulance built for the Starkville Civil War Arsenal has been completed and is on display for viewing. Visitors can make an appointment to come see the ambulance and other artillery rolling stock by going to the website StarkvilleCivilWarArsenal.com and making an apppointment. You can view the ambulance online by clicking on "Project Completed" . Hope you enjoy your visit.

Thank you for performing an often thankless job

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow!!! That is absolutely incredible!!

Well done, and thank you so much for posting!! What an unbelievable job!! One day I hope to tour the museum ... I've been wanting to for a while now...

Have very much wanted to see an ambulance. Magnificent construction. As one who has had two different driving horses, my interest is primarily with the ambulance vs artillery. Do you think you will ever have a team of driving mules pulling this?

Have very much wanted to see an ambulance. Magnificent construction. As one who has had two different driving horses, my interest is primarily with the ambulance vs artillery. Do you think you will ever have a team of driving mules pulling this?

Thank you for your interest in the Wheeling Ambulance. As far as harnessing up the ambulance, horses would be my first choice. Mules temperament didn't lend itself to duty in the ambulance service.

I didn't know that! In reading different diaries - as the war went on - I thought I'd read where a nurse would be allowed an ambulance and I somehow assumed they were mules because the different teamsters or soldiers would talk about the mules.

What is the difference in temperament between a mule and a horse? Here is NH, mules are in pretty short supply......

I didn't know that! In reading different diaries - as the war went on - I thought I'd read where a nurse would be allowed an ambulance and I somehow assumed they were mules because the different teamsters or soldiers would talk about the mules.

What is the difference in temperament between a mule and a horse? Here is NH, mules are in pretty short supply......

Horses can learn to withstand the noise and chaos of the battlefields. Mules don't like load noise, can sense danger and will run away when the situation is not to their liking.

Back