Announce An Upcoming Reenactment in Our Events Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3-5, 2013 at Ramsey House Plantation, Knoxville, TN

150th Anniversary of Raid on East Tennessee

Reenactment of Col. William P. Sanders’ Federal raid into East Tennessee. Recruiting for all military branches. Battle reenactments, encampments, living history artisans and historical presenters. Event to be held on the 100-acre Ramsey House Plantation, where Federals encamped in 1863. Standard amenities provided. Pre-registration $5 until April 1. Walk-ons $10. Artillery bounty of $150 for first two registered batteries. Saturday 10AM thru Sun. 4PM. Ramsey House Plantation. For more information contact Judy LaRose – Historical Administrator at (865)546-0745 or email her at [email protected].

AUGUSTA KENTUCKY 2017.

Once this one 150 stuff is over with, or near over, I am hankerin to try my hand AGAIN, at event organization. Yes, I am a masicist.. :banghead: The confederate force will be both mounted and dismounted, and I will have a guideline that will make some my enemy for life. (as if that has not happened already) :D

Guide Lines: Impressions should be late 62. This skirmish/battle was part of the Heartland Campaign for Ky. Basil Duke on orders from J.H. Morgan attempts to use Augusta as the place to ford his forces, which is primary the 2nd Kentucky Cav. CSA, along with a section of 12lb mountain howizers. The idea for for Basil to raid Ohio toward Cincinnati to disrupt and draw away defenders in Northern Ky. that were facing Morgan, and 8,000 confederate infantry and artillery under Kirby Smith. However, at Augusta were federal patrol boats, each armed with a 12lb gun and around 125 Augusta Home Guard. The Col. of the guard decided to fight with the aid of the gunboats. The confederate thought it would be a easy victory. When the smoke cleared 45 minutes later. The federal boats had fled, the confederates were out of ammunition, many of the buildings had been shot point blank by cannister, and shot, and anywere between (reports vary) 64 to 105 dead and wounded lay bleeding on the grounds and in the houses of Augusta. The Home Guard was captured and taken with Basil, and at Brookville Ky. Union forces almost caught the Confederates by surprise, but did recapture almost all of the Home Guard from Augusta.

Confederate Dismounted Guidelines for Impressions. Dismounted will be armed with single shot muskets, or single or double barrel muzzle loading shotguns (long guns) only. No pistols for the dismounted, exception is officers. No yellow trimmed uniforms, no kepis, no sabres except officers and all will have spurs. Looking for slouch hats, and other broad brimmed hats, sack coats, and depot jackest of various types, some commutation jackets, civilian, and depot trousers, brogans, civilian period shoes and or boots are fine. I prefer period material, weave, and hand stitching around button holes. Actual guidelines (I may require the above) will be posted later within 3 years of said event. Proper cartridge boxes WITH tins.

Mounted Cavalry Guidelines for Impressions. Period equipment is prefered, no cowboy saddles or boots. Pistols and short muskets, and muzzle loading shotguns are fine. Sabres are fine, but prefer to have them in smaller numbers. NO kepis, no yellow trimed uniforms. The guidelines as Dismounted for uniforms are the same.

Federal Guidelines: Federal Infantry has some ledway for this event. Frock coats, State coats, sack coats, all are welcome, kepis, forage hats, slouch, prefer black, and Hardee hats are fine. Weapons All model Springfields 1816, 1842, 1841, 1855, 1861, along with the 53 Enfield are welcome. If all you have is a 63 Springfield, I can let that pass.
Trousers, dark blue, light blue, or even civilian can work. Proper cartridge boxes of various types WITH tins. Also period construction, and hand stitched buttonholes are highly prefered.
Also Federal Naval Impressions are welcome. We hope to have a gunboat for you to play on, and a period shore party and small camp is welcome too.

Have not decided if this will be a two day or one day event. Living history set ups are extremely welcome. Camps will be period, but there will be a camp of convenence set up away from the period camps. Campaign style for the Confederates, Garrison style for the Federals.

The event will be organized for 300 confederate Cav. and or dismounted troops, and 125 or so Federal Infantry, also a role will be played for Federal Naval forces. Be looking for One 12lb federal gun (naval dalgren carrige if I can find one), and two 12lb Mountain Howizers for the Confederate forces. Love to see them horse drawn if possible. As of now I have no plans for paid registration. And mtd. Cav will recieve some preference due to thier high cost in travel.

More on this as I get going. I thinking of doing 1 quality event about every two years. Giving back the the hobby and reenactors I have spent the last 37 years with.

Pards....
Pvt Wells, If you are forming a committee on this event I would like to help out. I've always thought Augusta would be a great place for a small event. Also I intend to retire from my real work in 2017. Please email me [email protected]

On October 19th 2014, a reenactment will take place in Sheldon, VT.

Sheldon is going to commemorate the October 19th Raid with a community-scale event on Sunday, 10/19. The Library and the Sheldon Historical Society will cooperate on displays and activities in the Town office building/Library starting at 10 AM. A community meal will be served at noon (outdoors, at the bridge) by the Methodist ladies and others: this will be by donation, to benefit the Sheldon Food Shelf. The meal will be basic, 19th century farm-fare of beef stew, baked beans, cornbread and an apple desert. Mark Sustic has enlisted a few of Fairfax's Fiddleheads to provide period music during the run up to the meal, and following. There's a program of some familiar songs of the era, with the Sheldon school kids in charge of that. The spoken presentation by Captain Conger's Grandson (x4) Colin will wrap it up. Expecting the whole event to span 10-2pm.

Everyone's welcome, and costumed participants will add color and depth to the commemoration. We no longer have that covered bridge (it burned of accidental causes in 1932) and the concrete replacement won't make much of a blaze. Our part in the Raid was incidental: just a footnote easily overlooked.

The burning of the Sheldon bridge occurred after the Confederates robbed the banks and left St. Albans, VT and headed towards Canada. Sheldon is commemorating on the actual date-where the St Albans Raid was reenacted in warmer weather, Sept. 19-21, 2014.

Sheldon
Site of Civil War Action
IN VILLAGE, TWO MILES SOUTH OF SHELDON JCT., OFF ROUTE 105
On their retreat back to Canada from the attack on St. Albans, the 22 man Confederate detachment rode into Sheldon near dark. Crossing a covered bridge which stood on this Site, they set it on fire, but alert village citizens saved the bridge. In great haste to escape an aroused countryside, the invaders gave up a planned foray on the local Bank.

http://www.vermontcivilwar150.com/HistoricMarkersNorthernVermont.html

Opening September 9:

Civil War Objects

From the University of Vermont Collections

Expired Image Removed

The Civil War profoundly impacted the lives of Vermonters, including the soldiers who fought on the battlefield, the medical staff and civilians who accompanied them, and their family members and descendants. More than 34,000 Vermonters went to war - almost ten percent of the state's population. Vermonters were connected to major historical events such as John Brown's raid on Harper's Ferry in 1859 and major battles during the war, as well as the abolitionist movement. When the war ended, families set aside letters, medals, military equipment, and other reminders of the war from the battlefield and home. The collections of the University of Vermont reflect those wartime experiences, as Vermonters donated family heirlooms to the Museum. From quilts made for soldiers' fundraisers to prized uniforms to fragments of hardtack (a Civil war ration), these objects continue to be studied by University classes and researchers.

Download Press Release

Union Army Overcoat, 1860s. Wool, cotton, brass. Gift of Anne Childs Taylor, 1937.62.1

Coming September 16:

Civil War Era Drawings

From the Becker Collection

Expired Image Removed
Joseph Becker and his colleagues served as artist-reporters for Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper. They documented the Civil War, observing and drawing on the battlefields, in military encampments, and on the move, sending their drawings back to the newspaper for publication. These "first-hand" drawings document in lively detail key developments in the history of America as it struggled to establish its national identity. While the Civil War was the first war to be documented by photography, these journalists' drawings often provide more detail, drama, and emotion than did the new technology of the camera.

Download Press Release

Henri Lovie, Battle of Shiloh or Pittsburg Landing, Tennessee: Centre; Sunday Morning, April 6, 1862. Graphite, brown ink, and brown wash on wove paper. 9x14 in. The Becker Collection. Courtesy of Curatorial Assistance Traveling Exhibitions

October 26, 2914 a local reenactment group will be at the museum.

Just for everyone's information. There is a reenactment scheduled for I believe May 15-17 at Resaca Ga. It's a nice area to visit if you have never been. This will be the first year I have been, so I really know nothing about it. I am looking foward to going and learning though.

Just for everyone's information. There is a reenactment scheduled for I believe May 15-17 at Resaca Ga. It's a nice area to visit if you have never been. This will be the first year I have been, so I really know nothing about it. I am looking foward to going and learning though.

Glad to hear this will re-occur!
I spectated the 2014 Resaca re-enactment on Sat and it was excellent.
The event was held next to the railroad and a train came through and stopped during the fighting.
We risked our hearing and stood near the Confederate cannons.
I don't know how many re-enactors there were but there were hundreds. Reinforcements kept pouring onto the field. There were Cavalry Charges, Flanking movements, Counter Flanking movements, field howitzers, and impressively rapid rates of fire by both sides. Most excellent event not to be missed if you like this sort of thing. Best in Class in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back