Animated photo Series: President Lincoln of battle-field of Antietam

mnor

Private
This is the latest creation in my layered/animated photo series:
(entire series can be accessed here at my website: http://affinityprojectsllc.com/WEB3D/index.htm )

Photo info:

Photo info:
Summary: Photograph shows Abraham Lincoln at Antietam, Maryland, on Friday, October 3, 1862; Lincoln is posed standing by a chair and facing McClellan with other Union Army officers grouped outside a tent.

From left to right: Colonel Delos B. Sacket, Captain George Monteith, Lieutenant Colonel Nelson B. Sweitzer, General George W. Morell, Colonel Alexander S. Webb [Chief of Staff, 5th Corps], General George B. McClellan, Scout Adams, Hunt, General Fitz-John Porter, Joseph C. G. Kennedy, Colonel Frederick T. Locke, General Andrew A. Humphreys, and Captain George Armstrong Custer. (Source: Ostendorf, p. 107)
Creator(s): Gardner, Alexander, 1821-1882, photographer
Date Created/Published: [1866]
Medium: 1 photographic print : albumen ; 12 1/4 x 15 3/4 in. (mount)
Reproduction Number: LC-DIG-ppmsca-35519 (digital file from original photograph)
Rights Advisory: No known restrictions on publication.

Call Number: Illus. in E468.7 .G19, v. 1 (Case Y) [P&P]
Repository: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print

Custer? Again? Where is he?
Far right...
1862-10-04_E425_12-p10.jpg

McClellan looks too young to be the top Army commander. The physical contrast between him and Lincoln mirror their respective characters. Lincoln is a giant and McClellan is dwarfed by him .
McClellan displays a great deal of braggadocio, which would seem to cover a lot of insecurity. I have read a few of his letters to his wife, which seemingly display a lot of "look how wonderful I am". I would love to see how she responded to him. Was she encouraging of his neediness,or more like Bragg's wife who kept tell him he was a screw-up?

McClellan displays a great deal of braggadocio, which would seem to cover a lot of insecurity. I have read a few of his letters to his wife, which seemingly display a lot of "look how wonderful I am". I would love to see how she responded to him. Was she encouraging of his neediness,or more like Bragg's wife who kept tell him he was a screw-up?

She was the one telling him how great he was and how he should take his army to Washington and overthrow Lincoln.

However, McClellan was probably the best army commander the war produced.

Back