Andrew S Eberhart Co F 63rd Georgia Infantry

lelliott19

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
On July 27, 1863, Andrew S. Eberhart sat down in Madison County, Georgia to write his Last Will and Testament:

Expecting in a short time to go to the Army as a soldier in defense of my country & through the will of divine providence may not return in this life, deem it right & proper both as regards to my family and myself that I should make a disposition of the property with which a kind providence has blessed me… To my daughter Sarah A., my negro girl Mandy about 10 years old, one feather bed & clothing and & bedstead, also one half of the balance of my estate. The other half of my estate to be divided equally between my beloved wife Edna J. and my daughter Letitia L. My wife to have & hold the said equal share during her natural life or widowhood; in case of her death or marriage, it all to go to Letitia L. All my property to be kept together as it is now until my daughter Sarah A. becomes of age or marries. Executor: my friend Bennet Sims. Signed: Andrew S. Eberhart.
Witness: James S. Treble, Sarah A. Patterson, John F. Kirk. Rec’d 28 Nov 1863.

Madison County Will Book B, Part One, page 169. http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gamadiso/willbook.htm

upload_2017-7-6_22-13-34.png

Fort Thunderbolt, Savannah, Georgia https://www.loc.gov/resource/g3924s.cws00109/

Three weeks later, on August 19 1863, he arrived at Fort Thunderbolt, Savannah Georgia, where he was enlisted as a Private in Company F, 63rd Georgia Infantry for three years or the war.

On October 23, 1863, two months after his arrival, he died of "Fever and Ague" (malaria) at Fort Thunderbolt.
upload_2017-7-6_22-10-47.png

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
On July 27, 1863, Andrew S. Eberhart sat down in Madison County, Georgia to write his Last Will and Testament:

Expecting in a short time to go to the Army as a soldier in defense of my country & through the will of divine providence may not return in this life, deem it right & proper both as regards to my family and myself that I should make a disposition of the property with which a kind providence has blessed me… To my daughter Sarah A., my negro girl Mandy about 10 years old, one feather bed & clothing and & bedstead, also one half of the balance of my estate. The other half of my estate to be divided equally between my beloved wife Edna J. and my daughter Letitia L. My wife to have & hold the said equal share during her natural life or widowhood; in case of her death or marriage, it all to go to Letitia L. All my property to be kept together as it is now until my daughter Sarah A. becomes of age or marries. Executor: my friend Bennet Sims. Signed: Andrew S. Eberhart.
Witness: James S. Treble, Sarah A. Patterson, John F. Kirk. Rec’d 28 Nov 1863.
Madison County Will Book B, Part One, page 169. http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gamadiso/willbook.htm

View attachment 147444
Fort Thunderbolt, Savannah, Georgia https://www.loc.gov/resource/g3924s.cws00109/

Three weeks later, on August 19 1863, he arrived at Fort Thunderbolt, Savannah Georgia, where he was enlisted as a Private in Company F, 63rd Georgia Infantry for three years or the war.

On October 23, 1863, two months after his arrival, he died of "Fever and Ague" (malaria) at Fort Thunderbolt.
View attachment 147442
I was pretty surprised to see this feature entry about Andrew S. Eberhart. He is my GGG-grandfather. I was searching for information on his unit and came across this post. I was curious if you have any relation to him. I grew up near Kennesaw Mountain, where his unit fought after being pulled from coastal artillery duty to join Johnston's army. Of course he had already died and was not with the unit. I had other relatives there though, including my GGG-grandfather Abner Webb of the 37th GA IN Regt. He was in Smith's Bde of Bate's Div. His battle position in the confederate line was only about 400 yds from where my grandfather Webb (his G-grandson) is now buried. That was a great coincidence.

lelliott19

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
I was pretty surprised to see this feature entry about Andrew S. Eberhart. He is my GGG-grandfather. I was searching for information on his unit and came across this post. I was curious if you have any relation to him.
Hello @Dbbearden and welcome to Civil War Talk - the best place on the internet for Civil War discussion! Happy to have you aboard. No, I am not related to Andrew S. Eberhart but was interested in his story. I ran across his will while doing research on the 16th Georgia Infantry. A lot of the men in the 16th GA (2 full companies) were from Madison County. Anyway, after I found Andrew's will, I looked up his carded records at Fold3 and found that he died just 5 months after writing his will. Since it was such a sad story, I posted it here. I am so glad that you were able to find it and learn more about your 3x great grandfather.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)