Andersonville Prison, Race, and the Whitewashing of History

Stiles/Akin

Sergeant Major
wirz2.png

I share this article to say that as with any trial if you cant provide key witnesses like the Governor of Georgia who could the trial be fair. Of you labeled Colonel Ould as a Co Conspirator then these men are charged before they have even been able to stand trial.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
If, as I gather is the case, the Andersonville conversation has been ' watered down ' due to contention, it's an idiotic state of affairs rebounding on all POW's, North and South. It is indeed impossible to have a conversation on prisons in this war- 150 year old resentments have managed to creep into our DNA. Does no one see silencing Andersonville's story silences all of them? Is Agenda worth it- for all the commitment to one's ancestors we hear, does anyone have the right in 2017, to swap that, not one's own story but someone else's, for the ability to ' shush ' Andersonville's entire story?

And had no clue Wirz's relatives came within 2000 miles of Andersonville. Why, exactly, please? We have veritable martyrs through those years. We know of genuine sacrifices made, men and women who did not come home because they deliberately gave their lives- the only thing they had to give- for what they believed. Honoring Wirz, allowing his family to parade around on the acres where men crawled into holes to die, under his watch, making Andersonville about Wirz, is terrifying, dishonorable and further guarantees the stories of POW's of both armies are destined to remain untold.

Yeah, if you want to see what the Yankees did to the Rebs, start a new thread....:rolleyes:

This is a fight that no one wins, but it keeps coming back...

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Featured Book Reviewer
A plaque from a Vermont VFW post that had donated a significant amount to the museum project had to be redesigned because the original wording referred to “the Vermonters who perished in Confederate hands at Andersonville.” ”
Exactly who did they think ran this camp? This is not northern bias it is fact. I find this kind of distortion in the name of political correctness to avoid raw feelings to be entirely irresponsible to history. The truth may hurt but unlike a lie you never have to back away from it. Shame on all involved.

18thVirginia

Major
Forum Host
We're told all the time that we should learn from history and in the case of prisoner of war camps, I certainly believe that is true. I'll try to say this without getting flagged for discussing modern politics, because I'm really saying this in the most generic way, that all kinds of societies and nations that go to war should heed the lessons of the past, which is basically that in any war there will be prisoners--and generals and armies must plan for that. Otherwise, you end up with some kind of repeat of Andersonville, where the memories of the horrors of captivity are long.

Which means that the attempts to whitewash the history of Andersonville are simply wrong.

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Featured Book Reviewer
We're told all the time that we should learn from history and in the case of prisoner of war camps, I certainly believe that is true. I'll try to say this without getting flagged for discussing modern politics, because I'm really saying this in the most generic way, that all kinds of societies and nations that go to war should heed the lessons of the past, which is basically that in any war there will be prisoners--and generals and armies must plan for that. Otherwise, you end up with some kind of repeat of Andersonville, where the memories of the horrors of captivity are long.

Which means that the attempts to whitewash the history of Andersonville are simply wrong.
Whitewashing takes away all opportunity for learning and changing and doing better.

WJC

Brigadier General
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
Does no one see silencing Andersonville's story silences all of them? Is Agenda worth it- for all the commitment to one's ancestors we hear, does anyone have the right in 2017, to swap that, not one's own story but someone else's, for the ability to ' shush ' Andersonville's entire story?
I agree. As I mentioned earlier, I detest the idea of revising the Andersonville narative to encompass all POW experiences. If a POW memorial or museum is needed, let it stand on its own history, not that of Andersonville or any other site. Allowing generalization dilutes the meaning of Andersonville and the hardship of the men imprisoned there. This is the worst kind of historical revisionism, substituting modern-day opinions for historical fact. What a travesty!

WJC

Brigadier General
Thread Medic
And had no clue Wirz's relatives came within 2000 miles of Andersonville. Why, exactly, please? We have veritable martyrs through those years. We know of genuine sacrifices made, men and women who did not come home because they deliberately gave their lives- the only thing they had to give- for what they believed. Honoring Wirz, allowing his family to parade around on the acres where men crawled into holes to die, under his watch, making Andersonville about Wirz, is terrifying, dishonorable and further guarantees the stories of POW's of both armies are destined to remain untold.
Does the Wirz family have a connection to Andersonville? Yes. Is it a connection worthy of honor? No.
Nowhere in my reading of Andersonville have I found any reason to honor Wirz. He had it in his power to run a humane camp, but chose not to, inflicting great suffering. Thank God that- so far- no one has seen fit to 'generalize' modern-day POW sites or 'death camps' or honor their wardens.

WJC

Brigadier General
Thread Medic
My apologies, I’ll let you get back to your “white southerners” bashing.
No "bashing" of "white southerners", only a search for the facts and understanding. For example, Captain Wirz was not representative of most southerners. That is what makes his crimes- and the willingness of some to honor him- so chilling.

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
My apologies, I’ll let you get back to your “white southerners” bashing.

Please do not do that. It is devisive and the last thing we need is to be further apart. In point of fact there's a mission statement on the women's forum that none of us will understand this war until we understand how much we had in common. Wirz inflicted suffering on Southern civilians, too, associating them with this awful news story no one had a thing to do with- it's only 150 years later for some darn reason the myth persists he was somehow part of the community. He was not. Civilians denounced conditions at Andersonville, did not in fact rally around this man as somehow ' theirs '.

Insisting that because someone detests Wirz, they bash Southern civilians takes away the voices of those civilians.

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
No "bashing" of "white southerners", only a search for the facts and understanding. For example, Captain Wirz was not representative of most southerners. That is what makes his crimes- and the willingness of some to honor him- so chilling.

Yes, and deliberately revisionist. I really shouldn't say this because I've lost the darn source- last time I said it, ate my hat- OH the gnashing of teeth! Before understanding what a contentious topic this is, and weirdly, sometimes on ' both sides ', had been delighted to catch a whiff in one of those endless diaries kept in the war, of civilian reaction to the prison. I forget how exactly so won't misstate, but food smuggled to prisoners by civilians, was the story.

Since it was not published widely, no one was patting themselves on the back, etc., seemed to be no reason to be an invented account. OH goodness- this account was dismissed as utter nonsense. I still believe it based on plain, old human nature.

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Yeah, if you want to see what the Yankees did to the Rebs, start a new thread....:rolleyes:

This is a fight that no one wins, but it keeps coming back...

Yes, but with all your knowledge gee whiz- you're like a Drewpedia on this stuff, we all know these places were beyond barbaric. It's the rest of the world getting the wrong end of the stick. I always feel like we're doing in-family fighting in these threads because genuine understanding is so needed ' out there ', why are we wasting our time? The Camp Morton story, where guards for fun got men out of bed to march in the snow in circles, the monument to 13 Confederate POW's dying far from home turned into a politics game, not a poignant memory- and Andersonville, Belle Island, Elmira- we have this stuff. OK, I say ' we ', which is a little erroneous. Am a 2nd grader compared to most.

Bringing the war back to where it belongs in American History, honoring all of that History and each man dying in these awful places seems to me to be a kind of job.

O' Be Joyful

Sergeant Major
Use-ta be: Zinn-zä-nätti o-HI-o The BIG city.

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Featured Book Reviewer

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)