Golden Thread Andersonville National Historic Site

Outside the North Gate. As the sign in the second picture shows,there was an outer and inner stockade wall and the prison site was originally the 16.5 acres on the south side of Stockade Branch. 10 acres were added on the north side of Stockade Branch later. The third pic would have been inside the stockade looking at the inner wall of the North Gate.

2018-06-22 08.28.48.jpg

2018-06-22 08.24.50.jpg

2018-06-22 08.26.24.jpg

I then drove to the South Gate and south end of the stockade and took some pictures. You can see in the pictures that Providence Spring was inside the Deadline. The prisoners had to hang cups from sticks and reach inside the Deadline to get water from the spring.

2018-06-22 08.31.17.jpg

2018-06-22 08.31.39.jpg

2018-06-22 08.37.02.jpg

At the southwest corner of the Andersonville Stockade was a Star Fort overlooking the entire stockade and the approach to the west side and the north side. According to the first sign,there were 9 cannons there.

2018-06-22 08.33.51.jpg

2018-06-22 08.33.54.jpg

2018-06-22 08.34.25.jpg

2018-06-22 08.34.50.jpg

According to this sign,there were 3 hospital sites at Andersonville Prison(Camp Sumter) during its short history. All were on the south end and outside the stockade.

2018-06-22 08.35.50.jpg

By the time I finished driving and walking the prison site I was hot and sweaty and only had about 15 minutes of my allotted time at Andersonville left. i made a quick visit at the Visitor Center and Museum.

2018-06-22 08.47.34.jpg

2018-06-22 08.47.40.jpg

2018-06-22 08.49.43.jpg

2018-06-22 08.51.42.jpg

I really didn't get to spend much time at the Visitor Center/Museum. I hope to go back sometime when I have more time to spend at the entire historic site. I bought a coffee cup in the Visitor Center and something cold to drink and stepped out back for one more quick look around before I left and I'm glad I did:

2018-06-22 08.53.06.jpg

2018-06-22 08.53.14.jpg

You can easily spend 2 hours in the VC, there is so much to see.
Unfortunately,2 hours total was all the time I had to spend at Andersonville. Perhaps next time I can start at the Visitor Center and not feel/be rushed.

Reactions: Sbc
Every time I see this thread,it makes me want to go back. Two hours is really not enough time to give ANHS the attention it deserves. Didn't even get to go into the town on that trip. I would like to do that too.

Every time I see this thread,it makes me want to go back. Two hours is really not enough time to give ANHS the attention it deserves. Didn't even get to go into the town on that trip. I would like to do that too.
I regret not seeing it in 2016. I was in Columbus for a few days, & just couldn't peel off the time to go. Instead of travelling to Andersonville, I opted for the Civil War Naval Museum also in Columbus. I went to the National Infantry Museum as well but, that was all that time allowed for. I may have another trip that way in the future. If I do, this is a stop I'm gonna try to plan for.

I regret not seeing it in 2016. I was in Columbus for a few days, & just couldn't peel off the time to go. I went to the National Infantry Museum but, that was all that time allowed for. I may have another trip that way in the future. If I do, this is a stop I'm gonna try to plan for.
All I had was a morning in Columbus on that trip. We stayed in Phenix City the night before. Visited Fort Mitchell National Cemetery,the CW Naval Museum and Linwood Cemetery that morning.

I missed this thread when originally posted. Really great photo tour; thanks !

I'll never get to see the actual site so it's good to see what it looks like on the ground. I got a bit more interested in Andersonville last year when one of the men I was researching turned up to be buried there. Turns out his stone had the wrong death date. I wrote the museum curator with my evidence of such and offered them my write-up on the veteran and they accepted both. So, a bit of a connection there for me now.

All I had was a morning in Columbus on that trip. We stayed in Phenix City the night before. Visited Fort Mitchell National Cemetery,the CW Naval Museum and Linwood Cemetery that morning.
Visited the site when I was down at Fort Benning for training one year. Very somber feeling when walking the grounds and the cemetery.

Back