Andersonville Genealogy

josh54739

Private
Hello, everyone!
I am looking for a prisoner at Andersonville from the Civil War. His name was George W. Bixby, but he enlisted as George Way, in Company B, 56th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment. I did a previous forum on him, which I have attached a link to.
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/prisoner-of-war-mystery-died-or-became-a-rebel.148554/
Basically, he was the son of Lydia Bixby of Boston, famous for receiving a letter from President Lincoln, for the loss of five sons in the war. He was captured in the Battle of the Crater on July 30, 1864, and was held at Richmond, then Salisbury. While at Salisbury, he disappeared from record, with the unit’s final roster saying he either died or deserted to the Confederate Army, with scant evidence for either. Recently, I looked him up in the NPS’s Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System that has a database for Andersonville prisoners.
Way, George
SIDE: Union
UNIT NAME: 56 Massachusetts Infantry
REGIMENT: 56
STATE: Massachusetts
FUNCTION: Infantry
COMPANY: B
DESCRIPTION: Held at Andersonville and survived
CAPTURE DATE: 1864-07-30 00:00:00.0
CAPTURE SITE: Petersburg, Virginia
ALTERNATE NAME:
REMARKS:

I was very pleased because everything matches him. This would support a hypothesis I believe made sense that he was transferred to a different prison and that’s why there was no further record of him. I am waiting on an email from the NPS at Andersonville and have started going through online records from the prison to find him with no luck, which makes me think there is a possibility he may have been erronously put in the database. On civilwarprisoners.com database of Andersonville prisoners, he is also listed, but the comments only mention his time in Salisbury. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or advice on how to go forward?

BD99D1DA-397D-4E0D-9ABB-391B7D29F79E.jpeg

Back