And in New Orleans, Away We Go!

RobertP

Lt. Colonel
Seems that the Lee, Davis, Beauregard and Liberty Place monument removals are not enough for some people. The "Take'em Down NOLA" group is after everything else in the city that smacks of slavery. That apparently now includes Andrew Jackson and Tulane University.

"New Orleanians should not be satisfied with the removal of the four monuments, and instead push for a much more widespread clearance of monuments, street names, school names and other tributes to those tied to ****, leaders of Take 'Em Down NOLA told a crowd of supporters during a Thursday night (March 23) meeting at Cafe Istanbul in the Marigny."

This paragraph is rich:

" 'These structures litter our city with visual reminders of the horrid legacy of slavery that terrorized so many of this city's ancestors. They misrepresent our community. We demand the freedom to live in a city where we are not forced to pay taxes for the maintenance of public symbols that demean us and psychologically terrorize us,' the statement reads."

Let's watch the modern politics. Matt McKeon

http://www.nola.com/politics/index....alls_for_wi.html#incart_river_mobile_home_pop

Last edited by a moderator:
Another heritage monuments thread?

Guess we shouldn't complain about those who blog about this stuff, eh? :bounce:
Wrong. This has nothing to do with Flaggers and Neo-Confeds. It has everything to do with fools who are trying to accelerate the extinction of a once great city.

Should I refer to you as "contested ground" or just Brooks?

Wrong. This has nothing to do with Flaggers and Neo-Confeds. It has everything to do with fools who are trying to accelerate the extinction of a once great city.

Should I refer to you as "contested ground" or just Brooks?
Guess I hit a nerve. :whistling:

You can call me whatever you want. Won't change who I am.

Just pointing our that when you hold forth on heritage issues, it's important (to you). When others write about the same things, you're prone to complain. Better to accept that to each their own. We each have our priorities. Judge not lest ye be judged and all that.

FWIW, I don't see that all this destroys anything. Things change. Let the folks in New Orleans make up their minds how they want to be. That doesn't make them fools. It just makes you mad.

Dear Matt, as this is political and has nothing to do with history avoiding politics seems to be an impossible task.

Guess I hit a nerve. :whistling:

You can call me whatever you want. Won't change who I am.

Just pointing our that when you hold forth on heritage issues, it's important (to you). When others write about the same things, you're prone to complain. Better to accept that to each their own. We each have our priorities. Judge not lest ye be judged and all that.

FWIW, I don't see that all this destroys anything. Things change. Let the folks in New Orleans make up their minds how they want to be. That doesn't make them fools. It just makes you mad.
I'm not mad, Brooks, but saddened at what that place has become. And unlike you I don't use the situation by superciliously plucking the low hanging fruit to make myself appear smarter and more clever than I really am. It should be beneath you.

I'm not mad, Brooks, but saddened at what that place has become. And unlike you I don't use the situation by superciliously plucking the low hanging fruit to make myself appear smarter and more clever than I really am. It should be beneath you.
I don't see where making smug insults and calling people fools elevates the conversation. But that just might be me.

Why you see yourself as low-hanging fruit is a different question. :byebye:

Dear Matt, as this is political and has nothing to do with history avoiding politics seems to be an impossible task.
However, one might refrain from calling people "snowflakes" and "fools." Tends to weaken the argument on its merits, if you ask me.

One can make an argument while not calling people with whom you disagree various derogatory names.

One can make an argument while not calling people with whom you disagree various derogatory names.

I can understand being offended by the meaning, or perceived meaning of a historical monument and thinking that it's not appropriate in a particular public venue, even if I disagree with that assessment. But describing a memorial as something that evokes terror is going too far, and I cannot take that argument seriously.

Last edited:
I can understand being offended by the meaning, or perceived meaning of a historical monument and thinking that it's not appropriate in a particular public venue, even if I disagree with that assessment. But describing a memorial as something that evokes terror is going too far, and I cannot take that argument seriously.
Then just say that. No need to call people names, right?

First, what's a "neo-Confederate?"

Second, thanks to you, I did a little research on the Virginia Flaggers. Did you know that they are protesting the relocation of monuments in Charlottesville? Sounds a lot like New Orleans ... right?

I am impressed by the Virginia Flaggers. They take to the streets, appear at meetings, raise Confederate flags to honor the Confederate soldier, march, take care of Confederate cemeteries, and the like. These are all admirable acts promoting and defending Confederate heritage, if you ask me. As for their views of American history, especially the Civil War and Reconstruction era, I venture that more than a few contributors to this newsgroup espouse the same viewpoints and share the same perspective (take, for example, black Confederates). So to denounce them as "low-hanging fruit" fails to give them the credit they deserve.

Have you done as much as they have in defense of Confederate heritage and to advance the cause? Anything outside of posting here? Because they don't just talk and type: they act.

Back