Ancestry Discussions of JD Mayo

I founded my lineage to Robert E Lee. Threw my GGF is a 2nd cousin twice removed, to Jane Dandridge, who was the first wife of John Dandridge his daughter is first lady to Washington his son is John P Curtis his son is George W Parke Curtis his daughter is Mary Anne R Curtis Lee mother of Robert E Lee. His other 2nd cousin is Ellen Lewis. I am related to Washington tow ways one threw marriage and blood.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/11599/john-dandridge?fbclid=IwAR18k8h-eHreu8GrWXK_1qDT1qMI5gOiJWxNE3RTu-pws-5V-FDY1Jk9qGY

My grandfather's father's sister Maria Lydia Gaines Ables her father inlaw my great great uncle was in the Confederate Army so this means both my grandafthers GG Grandparents had their nephew's and my GGF's sister's father inlaw where all in the service fighting against his wife's brother's daughters family in the Civil War. My great great grandmothers brother's son was in the Confederate army also.

My great aunt's husbands father John Ables my great great uncle, In May, 1861, at the age of seventeen, he entered the Confederate service, enlisting in Company B, Fifth Arkansas Regiment, Govan's brigade, Pat Cleburne's division, Hardee's and Cheatham's corps of the Army of the Tennessee, commanded by Beauregard, Albert Sidney Johnston, Braxton Bragg, Joseph E. Johnston and J. B. Hood, of Texas. Mr. Able's career as a soldier led him through many different battles-Chickamauga, Murfreesboro, Franklin, from Bowling Green, Ky., to Bentonville, N. C., via Nashville, Chattanooga and Dalton down the railroad and State line to Atlanta, thence to Jonesboro via Augusta, Ga., back to Bentonville. He fought the last battle under Johnston at that place, that famous general then falling back to Greensboro, N. C., where he surrendered. Mr. Ables took his chances for his home in Arkansas, and was in all the engagements of that march, soldiering through East Tennessee, around Knoxville, on Clinch River, at Clinton, with Bragg through Cumberland Gap to Kentucky. He was wounded in the right hand, losing his little finger, which, though a small and seemingly unimportant member, necessitated his absence from active duty for three months. He served throughout the war, and took an active part in every battle of his division in the Mississippi Valley, with the exception of those during the three months of his disability. Returning home in May, 1865, Mr. Ables was married the following August to Miss Mary A. Stutts. They are the parents of eight children, all of whom are living: Cora Belle, John W., Willis R., Anna C., Micager C., Samuel, James D. and Emma Lou. Following his matrimonial venture Mr. Ables engaged in farming, and now has a nicely improved farm of 160 acres. He was born in 1844, being the son of M. C. and Jane C. (Moore) Ables, natives of Tennessee and Alabama, respectively. M. C. Ables came to Arkansas in 1828, and settled in this county at a time when there were but few families in the locality. Here he bought a farm of 320 acres, on which he lived until the time of his death, with the exception of a year or two during his residence in Wittsburg, and also while in the Mexican War.In 1887 our subject sold out his farming interests and came to Colt Station, embarking in the grocery business, in which he is still engaged. In this he has been very successful. He held the office of constable of his township before moving to Colt, and was also justice of the peace for ten years, and has now a commission as notary public. Both my grandfathers great grandmother and his great grandfather had Civil War soldier's fight on both sides.

Ables  2.jpg

Ables.jpg

My grandfather's father's sister Maria Lydia Gaines Ables her father inlaw my great great uncle was in the Confederate Army so this means both my grandafthers GG Grandparents had their nephew's and my GGF's sister's father inlaw where all in the service fighting against his wife's brother's daughters family in the Civil War.
Okay @JD Mayo I definitely need a chart for all this!

Richard J Winn, brother to my great great grandmother Mary E Winn Walton, my great great uncle, 1824-1864 his son James Porter Winn, is the father of Abigail Winn Collins her husband is James William Collins his sister is Etta Collins Clark, Her husband is Henry J Clark and his father Lewis Clark, was a Union Soldier 20th Wisconsin Infantry Company B. I don't know what that makes him to me. But I find interesting I have roots that go to that state now. My great great uncle in-law. Lewis had two other brothers that also served in the Union Army

Thomas Clark 3rd Missouri Infantry Company G Clack Clark 11th Calvary Co. F
Thomas Clark.jpg
Clack Clark.jpg

Lewis Clark 20 Wisconsin Infantry Company B

Clark.jpg

I now have a family connection to the Iron Brigade. Private Edwin Atkinson who was wounded at Gettysburg 2nd Wisconsin Infantry Company D threw marriage my great great uncle William B Winn Jr, his son my great cousin married into a Union family. Other than Antietam and Gettysburg what other battles did they fight in?

Edwin Atinkson.jpeg

They were at Second Manassas, South Mountain, Fredericksburg, and Chancellorsville. They fought under Grant until Appomattox, but they were broken up and had other regiments attached to them, they were just a shell of their former selves.

They were at Second Manassas, South Mountain, Fredericksburg, and Chancellorsville. They fought under Grant until Appomattox, but they were broken up and had other regiments attached to them, they were just a shell of their former selves.
Where we're they at during the battle of Fredericksburg?

My great great aunt, Catharine Pentz Boteler, her daughter Mary Ida Boteler Laurie, married James C Laurie his father's Cranston H. Laurie his sister Isobel Scott Laurie Rottinhouse her husband Benjamin Franklin Rittenhouse his sister Isobel R Nourse married Joseph H Nourse his sister Eva Nourse Buchfield brother is John T Nourse who was in the 13th PA Cavalry Company E 20th Pa Calvary I. I find it interesting on my dads side of his great great grandmother Jennie E Pentz her aunts daughter marred into a Union family when she married into a Confederate family John T Nourse sister Eva Maria Nourse Burchfield her husband Dr. James Penrose Burchfield
Dr James Penrose Burchfield.jpg

Back