Ancestry Discussions of JD Mayo

How can you verify if you had family in the War?
Have you started doing any research on your family? Online or otherwise?

You usually can find information online as to which units and states they mustered into with a computer search through an online genealogy search. From there, you can look for pension paperwork and other governmental paperwork (was there a military burial or requests to the government for specific stones to mark their interment location, etc.) to help you verify their service.

The locations of where they mustered in may not be the same state as to where they lived. For example, I’ve got AL ancestors who mustered in at locations in TN and MS as well as their home state locations.

I’m sure there are folks here who are much more versed than I in finding and confirming family connections-and, honestly, there may be more tried and true ways to denote service than the ways I’m suggesting here

The online search is just the first part. Once I find mentions or view mustering in paperwork which tell the commanding officer and regimental name of the unit, then I begin searching about that unit to see what confinformation might be “out there.”

There is so very much online information available today. So, use that as your jumping off point-

Wishing you the best of luck as you start your research-

Then, I’d start with a general google search of their names and locations ( if they had a common last name, the location will help you make sure it’s the correct information to the correct “thread to pull.”)
There may be variations noted. For example my research showed a name with one t in the last name instead of 2 as it is commonly written today. Yet, it was the correct ancestor. So be conscious of some name variations you might encounter along either way.

No research done on any side of my family, both sets of grandparents are now gone
You can find out an awful lot by having your Grandparents information. Ancestry is one of the easiest places to start. Granted, there are LOTS of pitfalls with ancestry, especially until you are comfortable with it, & understand the need to verify info in other ways, too.

Knowing what you know, combined with research others have already done, can sometimes give you a leg up, or make it easier. I never accept a new person into my tree unless, & until, "it makes sense", & is verifiable. Census records, combined with other documents usually are good indicators. However, even census records have mistakes.

Once you get to ancestors who fit the profile, ie: Right age to have been in the war, Fold3 is a great resource to find military documents. There's a wealth of information online. Once you know how to find, verify, & use it... you can discover much about your family tree even in an afternoon.

If you go to the Researching Your Civil War Ancestry Forum you'll find LOTS of good information, & some folks who'd be glad to help you.

Welcome to the Brotherhood.
DSCN3160.JPG

One of my favorite people, now gone, was an active member (and often-times representative) of SUV here in Maine. When I was working on biographies of local ACW soldiers, Clyde was of invaluable assistance; it was he who pointed me to the SUV Graves Registry. You have joined a fine, civic-minded organization!

On doing genealogical research, I am going to disagree with some: stay away from online trees. You are then dependent on someone else's research and, if that person has made a mistake, it will become your mistake as well. Genealogy builds on itself--make an error in Generation No. 3 and it very well may mean that the rest of your work is faulty. Start with yourself and work backwards. Don't make assumptions. And, as Clyde said to me, the SUV site is a great place.

I think that the Union officer's wife would be your cousin 4 times removed--far enough away that I don't believe that you need feel guilty if you've not been sending Christmas cards to her descendants. 😂 . I've long since retreated to using a software program to do the tracking because--as you say--it gets mighty difficult.

I'll bet that mealtimes around the Bassett table could be pretty tense!

I wonder how her aunt felt when her brother died the year before she did during the Civil War then she marries a Yankee.
Some how, people tend to forgive choices that their close relatives make. Also, the bride may have assured her aunt that she (bride) was going to dissuade her new husband!

Back