Ancestor from South Carolina Infantry 20th Regiment D Company

TommyNole

Private
I'm in the process of trying to determine if the gentleman second from the right is my CW ancestor John Allen Neese (~1847-?), born in Lexington, SC and served in the SC 20th Infantry. Any photo/fashion experts able to estimate the time period of the photo?

Attachments

• neeseancestor.jpeg
    neeseancestor.jpeg
    286.1 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
I am not an expert, but I'd guess 90s- early 1900s based purely on "the look" from having looked at a lot of Victorian photos and unfortunately not from in-depth knowledge of the specific details.

Thanks. That helps. I then only have one "supposed" photo of him (below). Seems more likely as it appears even older and he's a lot older in the photo. Amazing how much family info gets lost with each passing generation.

PS The SC side of my family appears to have taken a lot of pride in their state tree (Sabal Palm).

Attachments

• oldneesephoto1.png
    oldneesephoto1.png
    186.9 KB · Views: 127
The first image I would place in the 1905-1920 era... appears to be a cabinet card photo, and the clothing articles they are wearing fit this time frame

Second image, I would place in the mid-late 30's to early 40's

Last edited:
I agree that none of the men in the first photo look old enough to fight in the war based on the clothing/photo style.

Second photo could be him as it looks like a man of the right age in the early 1900's.

Thanks. He was quite young at the time of the CW. Born in ~1847 according to most of the censuses...then somewhat strangely ~1844 for 2 of them. Not sure if there was some motivation in 1860 and 1880 to appear older, etc.

Anyway...if the photo of the group is too recent then I'm at a loss on that one. I thought there was a chance that the guy 2nd from the right and the solo old man were the same person (just 30 years apart...say 1890's and 1919). But sounds like that's unlikely based on your expertise on photos and fashion. I'll be going through a lot of old photos this summer when I'm with other relatives...to hopefully sort this out. Thanks for the help. This ancestor of mine is very elusive...

Back