"An Unknown Heroine," Elizabeth Keyser VanMetre

John Hartwell

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
vanmetre2.png

Mrs VanMetre as she appeared in 1877​
The story told in the book, An Unknown Heroine: an historical episode of the war between the states
by L. E. Chittenden, (1892), is a unique and astonishing one. It is a complex one, relating the life and military service of Lt. Henry E. Bedell. He had enlisted in the summer of 1862, in the 11th Vermont Infantry, but when the regiment reached reached Washington, they suddenly found themselves transformed into artillerists, and put into the defenses of the capital as the 1st Vermont Heavy Artillery. There they remained for 18 months, until April of 1864. During that time, Private Bedell had risen to corporal, sergeant, and, on January 12, 1864, received his commission as 2nd Lieutenant.

With the start of the 1864 spring campaign season, the 1st Heavies found themselves with rifles in their hands, slogging along as infantrymen once again. The record of the regiment covers gallant service at Spottsylvania, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, Weldon Railroad, Fort Stevens. Then it went into the Shenandoah Valley where they fought in all the battles there under Sheridan.

The "meat" of this amazing story, and the introduction to Elizabeth VanMetre, its heroine, begins after the Battle of Opequon, or Third Winchester, on September 19, 1864, in which Lt. Bedell is gravely wounded, and left behind when the army moves on. From the book's introduction:

"In his desolate solitude, when very near to death, he was discovered by the heroine, a young woman who had not completed her nineteenth year, whose husband and brothers were Confederate soldiers; her husband a prisoner. She removed the Union officer to her own dwelling, and with the assistance of the country doctor nursed him back to life. She made journeys to Harper's Ferry for supplies, to Cedar Creek for his clothing. She experienced all the vicissitudes: aided in his escape and accompanied him to Harper's Ferry and Washington, procured an order for the release of her husband, found him and went to Vermont with the Union officer, all as herein written. Such a plot needs no additions. It is so extraordinary that the author would hesitate to endorse its truth if he had not visited the localities, conversed with the parties, and found it confirmed in so many particulars that to doubt it further would be affectation.

"When, through the assistance of Mrs. VanMetre, the Union officer reached Harper's Ferry and was safe within the Union lines, he found that the story of his abandonment and the efficient conduct of his nurse, to which he owed the preservation of his life, was already well known to General Stevenson, then in command at that post. Of his own accord General Stevenson immediately communicated the substance of the story to Secretary Stanton by letter. ... Mrs. VanMetre received by mail the following letter, the original of which has been in the hands of the author of this book. It proves that her conduct was highly appreciated by Secretary Stanton at the time, and is one of the numerous evidences which have been furnished of the truth of the narrative here given.

The letter referred to reads as follows:

"Washington City, D. C,
"Nov. 4th, 1864.
"Mrs. VanMetre, Harper's Ferry.

"Madam: — It is with unfeigned pleasure that I comply with the instructions of the Secretary of War and inform you that he has ordered the unconditional discharge of your husband, now at Fort Delaware.

"Mr. Stanton has been sensibly touched by the report received through General Stevenson of your noble and humane conduct toward a wounded Federal officer and soldier, and without a moment's delay has acted upon the suggestion of General Stevenson and ordered the discharge of your husband, as some acknowledgment of the feminine goodness and nobleness manifested in your person.

"If such an example could but extensively find imitations, it would do infinite honor to your sex and greatly relieve war of some of its most barbarous tendencies.

"Very respectfully your obedient servant,
"E. A. Hitchcock,
"Maj.-Gen. Vols."

Chittenden's narrative, it must be said, is somewhat "fictionalized," that is, dialog is presented withing quotation marks. As he says, "it does not aspire to the dignity of history." It tells the story of a true, documented incident of the war, involving real characters, actual events. If, in its detail, it cannot be accepted literally, it is nonetheless an incredible story, and well worthy of our attention.

bedell.jpg

Last edited:
HOLY Gee whiz, Jno. Missed this until now- only excuse being how many fascinating, crazy events can one war produce?

I'm unclear why she is not yet another name like so many, already well known. Southern women stood the shock like Northern women were not required to- not in general. Disclaimers galore arise; enslaved women had a whole' nother war. Comparing takes so much away from our Elizabeths.

You know, always wonder if her relatives know. If not, becoming smitten by knowing what an ancestor did sure would be the gateway drug to drawing someone into History, the ACW- OH and CWT. :giggle:

And rats. Up to my elbows in buttercream roses, you know what I'll be looking up today. Doesn't make my husband happy. Sticky keyboard....... .

@JPK Huson 1863: I only stumbled across it because I was looking up sources for the 1st Vermont H.A. I really wish someone with the time, ability and inclination would take that book, read t carefully, and really dig into the historical sources. The author rarely quotes actual documents. And the writing is too much like a novel for my comfort. I tried a very little, but didn't get very far. There are several Van Metres in Clarke County Virginia, Bedell's service record doesn't mention, but doesn't contradict anything in the story. One reviewer says he was descended from her husband's brother. The book names a lot of people and places in the area, who should be looked into, etc. There's enough that I cant dismiss it entirely as fiction, but can't be entirely comfortable with it as well. There's a lot to work with. But, we really need to know the facts of the matter -- otherwise, it's just a "really great story."

ETA: just found This blog -- someone has done quite a bit of work on this, quotes her obituary, lists many references, etc (she apparently was officially and publicly thanked during her lifetime by the State of Vermont -- but it still needs to be fully documented.

"Later still Betty's great-grandnephew, Dr. Frank Brumback, became interested in her story but was rebuffed by family members when he asked questions. 'The majority of her family made it clear they did not approve of her actions at the time and again when she was honored by the state of Vermont. She was misunderstood and unappreciated by her family' and her neighbors." A 1968 Reader's Digest article about her was entitled "The Woman who Would Not Tell."

Also some sources named here: https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Bedell-185
also: http://www.northlandjournal.com/goo...om/rebel-officers-wife-aided-vermont-officer/

Last edited:
Washington Evening Star, January 30, 1915:
That article was repeated in many papers across the country.
Her obituary: Washington Evening Star, April 6, 1925:

Yes, too easy to become carried away- but, can of course see family not wishing her to become famous for saving a Union soldier? Interesting. SEEMS to have substance. Enough, that it would be terrific to have, like you say, someone really DIG.

I don't know. IF true- IF, this would be a wonderful Southern story. There just would be no conflict and far otherwise. Behaving as she did seems to me was indicative what we hear of women of the South. I JUST found an account, from a British/Confederate officer. Richmond women responding to wounded. Horribly wounded Union were placed in a different area, dismissed- we hear this on both sides sometimes. He found the women responding to the scene, a little shocked, asked them to please at least be aware enemy wounded required care- who scooped them up, applied care, and saved them. This British officer was purely a Confederate combatant. ' Just the facts, ma'am '. I understand we still cannot take his account as solid fact- but it's pretty darn good.

Back