An Unexpected Source Of Civil War Genealogy Info

lupaglupa

Major
Forum Host
I went to a research library to look at the transcribed Tennessee Civil War Veterans Questionnaires and found, to my happy surprise, that each volume had an index of all names mentioned. By simply checking each of my family names I got info on a distant cousin! A very unexpected bonus to my trip.

To those who don't know them, the TN CW Veterans Questionnaires were sent out after the war to veterans receiving pensions. They had a long list of questions (which you can read at this thread). Veterans gave not only their personal info but also notes on their ancestry and unit members. So even if your ancestor isn't on the index of respondents (which is available here), they still might be mentioned. The five volumes of transcribed answers are in a fair number of libraries.

Thought I'd pass this along.

I went to a research library to look at the transcribed Tennessee Civil War Veterans Questionnaires and found, to my happy surprise, that each volume had an index of all names mentioned. By simply checking each of my family names I got info on a distant cousin! A very unexpected bonus to my trip.

To those who don't know them, the TN CW Veterans Questionnaires were sent out after the war to veterans receiving pensions. They had a long list of questions (which you can read at this thread). Veterans gave not only their personal info but also notes on their ancestry and unit members. So even if your ancestor isn't on the index of respondents (which is available here), they still might be mentioned. The five volumes of transcribed answers are in a fair number of libraries.

Thought I'd pass this along.
That's really cool! Thanks so much for sharing! :smile:

Tennessee has some great genealogical resources. Have you seen where they're mapping their Revolutionary War pension files? Not sure if it would help you or not, but it's fascinating! (https://sos.tn.gov/news/state-library-archives-launches-new-digital-project-revolutionary-war)

To those who don't know them, the TN CW Veterans Questionnaires were sent out after the war to veterans receiving pensions. They had a long list of questions (which you can read at this thread).

I didn't find it. That link sent me to another CWT thread. I tried the link on that thread and did not see it. I know I've been there before.

That's really cool! Thanks so much for sharing! :smile:

Tennessee has some great genealogical resources. Have you seen where they're mapping their Revolutionary War pension files? Not sure if it would help you or not, but it's fascinating! (https://sos.tn.gov/news/state-library-archives-launches-new-digital-project-revolutionary-war)

@Zella I saw that! Very cool. I have a bunch of Rev. War ancestors that ended up in TN so I should check the map out. I love seeing the interesting things archives can do with their info online.

I didn't find it. That link sent me to another CWT thread. I tried the link on that thread and did not see it. I know I've been there before.

Sorry. The link worked for me. The questions are typed out into the first post. There are also at the link with the index of soldiers.

Very interesting. Nice find! Shows you that you shouldn't give up searching just because you think that you've covered all the sources already. There's always more to find!

Back