"An incident on the Chickahominy, in 1862"

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Honored Fallen Comrade
"we went about two hundred yards, when we were halted and ordered to send videttes forward into the thicket to recountier. Captain Ward, of Company I, asked if anyone would volunteer. I offered my services, provided someone would give me a canteen of water. I think there were at least a dozen canteens offered me at the same time. The only Yank I saw down there all day was in top of a tall pine tree and I would not have seen him if he had not called to me with a bullet from his rifle. The bullet struck the ground just behind me, which made me know he was above me.

I looked, and finally he shot a second time, and I found him by the smoke from his gun; he was astride a limb near the top of a long-leaf pine. I waited for him to present arms the third time; then I was ready also, and I took the first shot at a range of one hundred and fifty yards. He dropped his gun, threw up his hands, reeled back and fell some seventy-five feet, and I heard him strike the ground. After dark I was sent for and rejoined my regiment near Richmond again."

Captain R.S. Williams - Company I - 13th North Carolina

"we went about two hundred yards, when we were halted and ordered to send videttes forward into the thicket to recountier. Captain Ward, of Company I, asked if anyone would volunteer. I offered my services, provided someone would give me a canteen of water. I think there were at least a dozen canteens offered me at the same time. The only Yank I saw down there all day was in top of a tall pine tree and I would not have seen him if he had not called to me with a bullet from his rifle. The bullet struck the ground just behind me, which made me know he was above me.

I looked, and finally he shot a second time, and I found him by the smoke from his gun; he was astride a limb near the top of a long-leaf pine. I waited for him to present arms the third time; then I was ready also, and I took the first shot at a range of one hundred and fifty yards. He dropped his gun, threw up his hands, reeled back and fell some seventy-five feet, and I heard him strike the ground. After dark I was sent for and rejoined my regiment near Richmond again."

Thanks ! My 2 x great-grandfather was in Company I

Captain Williams is pictured on the lower left

Expired Image Removed

Back