Lee An Eyewitness Description Of Robert E. Lee: “As Near Perfection As A Man Can Be”

Barrycdog

Major
http://www.humanevents.com/2013/05/...ert-e-lee-as-near-perfection-as-a-man-can-be/

In early May of 1863—days after his greatest victory—General Robert E. Lee began planning an invasion of the North. Lee was a Virginian, the fiftysix- year-old commander of the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia, a man brevetted for gallantry during the Mexican War, and a former superintendent of West Point. He was a member of the Virginia aristocracy, the son of an acclaimed Revolutionary War cavalry commander—Lieutenant Colonel Henry “Light-Horse Harry” Lee—and he had served with distinction in the prewar United States Army, rising to the rank of colonel. In the view of many, both Northern and Southern, he was also a military genius. “His name might be Audacity,” observed a fellow officer. “He will take more desperate chances, and take them quicker than any other general in this country, North or South. . . . ”

OK, I'm a Lee fan, but this kind of boot-licking hagiography does more to harm his image than to help it. And people talk about "Lincoln worshippers". :nah disagree:

I hold General Lee in very high regard but I disagree that doing so makes me a Lee worshiper. I am prone to think some Northern partisans toss the Lee worshiping or idolizing label around a tad loosely. The same goes for Lincoln I do not hate Lincoln in fact I enjoy reading about him although he did break the law and my biggest bone to pick with Lincoln is that he either ignored or didn't feel it necessary to visit or investigate how captured Confederates were treated. I have read others say Lincoln had too much on his plate and it wasn't his place or duty to spend time and effort investigating POW camps.

I reconcile what I consider Lincoln's downside with him doing absolutely everything in his power preventing Southern Independence or put another way saving or maintaining the Union. I see Lee pretty much the same way in that he was a driven man who was extremely disciplined often denying himself comforts or perhaps viewing just about everything of secondary importance to fighting and winning the war.

Back