An exclusive look at ‘Mercy Street'

rickvox79

First Sergeant
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ercy-street-pbss-new-civil-war-medical-drama/

A new article on PBS's upcoming show Mercy Street. It linked a Behind the Scenes video as well. I thought this part of the article was interesting.

Financial constraints contributed to the shift from “Mercy Street” as a docudrama or a story about the staff of a field hospital to the show in its present form.

“We came up with a concept that was more of a ‘M*A*S*H*’ concept,” co-creator Lisa Wolfinger said of her early conversations with fellow executive producer and ‘E.R.’ veteran David Zabel. “It was based in a field hospital and it followed the Army of the Potomac around. It was certainly a Union project at this point…I thought about the practicalities and the budget and the kind of budget that PBS would be able to put together, and i thought this was too ambitious. We would have to see every battle. We’re talking about thousands of extras and we just can’t go there.”

Man it's really too bad they couldn't have gone with the original concept. Following a field hospital around from battle to battle would have been a great idea for a TV show IMO. Oh well, I'm still looking forward to checking this out in January.

Back