An Appeal for Information on Donegal Immigrants in the Civil War

I am currently compiling the most detailed map yet undertaken of where Irishmen who fought in the Civil War were from, and I am using Co. Donegal as the pilot study. I am seeking information that people may have on any Donegal immigrants they know of in Union or Confederate forces– specifically I need the location where they hailed from within the county, unfortunately just "Co. Donegal" itself is not enough to map them. I would greatly appreciate any details members may have, and please feel free to share this around! You can read more about and see the working map here: https://irishamericancivilwar.com/2...wyhTA4jhdD-y6popWZMijI1FW-2emNDOFRvF_1_5dGP5w

"Co. Donegal"

I went looking around for County Donegal items...

I found this out about pension records of Irish soldiers... Fold3 is a great site...

link: https://www.johngrenham.com/blog/2017/09/11/us-civil-war-widows-pensions/

Snip...

The files are even more useful for fleshing out family stories. Take the case of Unice and John Coyle, living in the townland of Muineagh in Clondavaddog, Donegal, parents of Hugh Coyle who died on June 24 1864 in Andersonville prisoner-of-war camp. Their application went through the US Consul in Derry and included letters from Unice giving painful detail of their circumstances and health, even attaching an original ‘Notice to Quit’ from the notorious Lord Leitrim. They got $8 a month. God bless America.

Snip...

The only online access to the files is on fold3.com, a site set up by Ancestry.com and, unsurprisingly, not covered by an Ancestry.com subscription. At least they’ve taken the chance to rethink the ridiculously clunky Ancestry search interface. Fold3’s is clean, intuitive and fast, making it simple, for example, to pick out all files that mention a particular Irish county.

Snip... I think its you...

For a detailed case history using the files to reconstruct the social history of Cruit Island in Donegal, see Damian Sheil’s excellent blog. Damian has also done maps of the locations mentioned in the files for Britain and mainland Europe, but not for Ireland.

Thanks a million for these! You were right on the Grenham site, he based it on my work, and Pat is excellent and a good friend! I must contact the Donegal Association of New York great call there thanks for that!

Back