An accurate replica of the 1861 Richmond rifled musket?

La Tiger

Private
I've always liked the looks of the 1861 Richmond rifled musket. Maybe it's the "high-hump" lockplate or the fact that the machinery was taken from Harper's Ferry. Maybe both!

The replicas on the market leave me very disappointed. Anyway, I wondered if anyone has made their own 1861 Richmond rifled musket? I believe it could be done easily, depending on the degree of historical accuracy desired.

What do y'all think? (Photo is from civilwararsenal.com) Richmond Rifle Musket

1861 richmond.jpg

Rusk County Avengers

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Your best bet is to get a standard repro of a Richmond and send it off to be defarbed by Lodgewood. Speaking of Lodgewood, give them a call and maybe they can custom build one.

Building one once wouldn't be a difficult thing to do, but to my knowledge the old custom made lockplates have become hard to find. I had contiplate a Fayetteville Rifle build, but lockplates are like hens teeth to find in my experience online. Once upon a time a call to SS Firearms would handle it, but they've been out of stock on their website for a year or two.

A rifle build is something only for the experienced or student of the experienced. A defarbed Chiappa or Pedersoli is your only choice