An Accurate Portrayal of Slavery In America

LoriAnn

Retired User
So as not to go too far off topic in another thread, I shall start this one.

@Mike Griffith said...

Most Union defenders, especially those who hold to the neo-Radical version of the war, argue that if you don't agree with their portrayal of slavery as a daily nightmare of rape, whipping, torture, humiliation, and sadistic cruelty, then you are defending the practice of slavery itself and are even implying that you would not mind if slavery still existed. In any other field of discussion, such silly, sophomoric, and dishonest logic would get one dismissed as a rabid and untenable partisan. But Civil War discussion is often unique when it comes to suspending long-established principles of logic and critical thinking.

(I don't mean to drag you into another thread, Mike, but I needed your quote to split off cleanly from the first thread.)

And I asked ~ "What do you think is an accurate portrayal of slavery in America?"

I will go ahead and say I am limited to the mini-series Roots, watched a long, long time ago, and bits and pieces I've read over the years or have seen in documentaries. I have not researched this deeply. I'll be honest and say up to this point, it has not been a subject I wish to delve into, as I suspect it's even uglier than I imagine.

To the forum in general: What do YOU think is an accurate portrayal?

Also, do you have a suggestion as to where one could look for accurate information?

*Mods, I was good and searched to see if this particular subject had been discussed already before starting this thread. I didn't see anything. If there is a thread out there and I missed it, my apologies.

Back