An 1860 Lincoln Medallion

John Hartwell

Major
Forum Host
I don't know just what this actually is, but it includes a (to me) unfamiliar Lincoln image:
Fold3_Page_1.jpg
From the Boston Public Library photo collection at https://www.fold3.com/image/111/256576134.
I think they "handsomed him up" a little for the campaign.
Note: fold3 photographs can be viewed free, without a subscription.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
The OP is the 1860 Campaign Medal ---aka Token or Medallion---for Lincoln and Hamlin. The ferrotype image of Lincoln was on one side of the medal; flip it over and the Hamlin ferrotype is on the other side. Collectors would easily pay $1000+ for one in the superb condition as shown in OP.

wbull1

Sergeant
The photo is one by Mathew B. Brady who could retouch photos as well as any modern computer program. The standing photo was taken on February 27, 1860, a few hours before Lincoln's Cooper Union address. Lincoln later said the photo put him in the White House.

Eark

Private
Your post presented a historically significant small object for identification & discussion...not ridiculous in the least bit.

In fact, was searching for this very thing today, since campaign fob examples often lead to early form campaign buttons, which were sewn-on back-shank true buttons, rather than later & modern day pin-back buttons. I wondered if I might see black lacquered Lincoln mourning buttons, as noted in Albert's. Hoping to discover a patent date, and original manufacturing ads.