Ammo for 1865 Spencer carbine perhaps 56-56, slugs at .526

Texas

Cadet
Hello, the name is Texas, i have quite an interest in Civil war period firearms.
I have a M 1865 rifle that was used in the Fenian wars in 1866 in the battle of Ridgeway. i also have a extra breach block that i had my chum make into centerfire. a few weeks back i shot my first whitetail buck with it at 52 yards.
I also have a carbine and it slugs out at about 525 dia. and was looking for some lead for it or a mold to make some so i can try it out. anyone with some info drop me a line back. perhaps its a 56-56, when i shoot my regular 56-50 .512 dia. bullets thru it they tumble 3 outa 5 times at 25 yards. Thanks Texas.

Here is a picture of the rifle November 20th 2018. Texas..

Attachments

• IMG_5664.JPG
    IMG_5664.JPG
    307 KB · Views: 271
If its a Spencer rifle and not a carbine then you need to fire the 56/56 and NOT the 56/52. The so called "56 / 56" cartridge was used in the 1860 model carbines and rifles, this meant that the side of the cartridge fitted over the bullet was straight, however the bullet and bore are smaller at approximately .52 caliber. With the 1865 carbine the straight cartridge used for the Model 1860 carbine was replaced with a new tapered cartridge, referred to as "56 /52" or "56 /50", the actual bullet was either .52cal or .50cal. Burnside introduced 3 groove rifling, otherwise most of the Spencer design details were followed. Below is a great link to the Spencer Shooters Association that is very help for folks that shoot their Spencer.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?board=35.0

The rifle i have a model 1865 shoots the 56-50 cartidges well. it slugs out at .512 dia. its the carbine with a bore of .526 that i was looking to find lead for. i don't see a model number on it. serial number is 51151. Thanks Texas. .

I know they are now making a modern repro of the Spencer Carbine in 56-56. Although the article did not say so much about where to get ammo for them. Dixie Gun works maybe, especially if you are reloading them, which it sounds like you do. It's worth a check. They did list the costs of a new repro, and right now they are making the carbine. The Ammo is kind of high, but might be what you need.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/56-50-spencer-ammo-for-new-made-spencers-box-of-20-amo5650b

Last edited:
I know they are now making a modern repro of the Spencer Carbine in 56-56. Although the article did not say so much about where to get ammo for them. Dixie Gun works maybe, especially if you are reloading them, which it sounds like you do. It's worth a check. They did list the costs of a new repro, and right now they are making the carbine. The Ammo is kind of high, but might be what you need.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/56-50-spencer-ammo-for-new-made-spencers-box-of-20-amo5650b
That ammo that Buffalo sells is made in Indiana and works well cept its .512 diameter. Actually that is the ammo i used to shoot my deer with. what i'm looking for is the larger dia. bullet of about .526. Thanks Texas

While I was reviewing the Spencer Repeating Arms Book by Marriot (page 222) I see that the 56-50 ammo varies greatly in bullet size depending on the manufacture and even within the same company. for example Winchester ammo with the H headstamp shows .521, .525, .526, .528, and .530 diameters. While other manufactures show .494, .495, .496, .500, .501. If we go to the 56-52 cartridge its .520, .524, .528, .529, .530, .535. and the 56-56 shows .534, .541, .545, .548, .551, and .557. Indeed a large variation in bullet sizes. Early rifles I've found do not all have the same size bore even though they are designated for the same caliber. When you are reloading cartridges this becomes much more prevalent when striving for accuracy. I've noticed this with several 41 Swiss that I have reloaded for and had the chance to shoot. Thus my quest for bullets in the .526 diameter range for the Spencer carbine. Or a smaller diameter bullet with a hollow base where the skirts would expand to meet the rifling. if anyone has a idea where to get these I would much appreciate it. Thanks Texas..

If its a Spencer rifle and not a carbine then you need to fire the 56/56 and NOT the 56/52. The so called "56 / 56" cartridge was used in the 1860 model carbines and rifles, this meant that the side of the cartridge fitted over the bullet was straight, however the bullet and bore are smaller at approximately .52 caliber. With the 1865 carbine the straight cartridge used for the Model 1860 carbine was replaced with a new tapered cartridge, referred to as "56 /52" or "56 /50", the actual bullet was either .52cal or .50cal. Burnside introduced 3 groove rifling, otherwise most of the Spencer design details were followed. Below is a great link to the Spencer Shooters Association that is very help for folks that shoot their Spencer.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?board=35.0
I tried yesterday to get on the site and could not register, same again this am. I do have a contact there now that is looking into the problem. thanks Texas..

Last odd size mold I got was from Accurate Molds picked out one' then had them cut it out to .552 from .548. They have several that are .520 ect. Good price/ fast turn around. Oh, welcome from inside of Mosby's Confederacy

Thanks very much. I was just checking there site and I think I can get what I want there. I would really like to get a few bullets already cast before I go and buy a mold just so I can see how well the carbine will really shoot. Thanks for the great info.. Texas..

There is a guy on the various shooting forums who is a commercial supplier of black powder projectiles. He seems to be well liked by the responses I've read. His name is Pat Kaboskey, and lives in Wisconsin. The email address given for him is cwbulletman (at) aol.com. I broke up the address so it can't be harvested by robots, but I'm sure you know how to read it!
J.

There is a guy on the various shooting forums who is a commercial supplier of black powder projectiles. He seems to be well liked by the responses I've read. His name is Pat Kaboskey, and lives in Wisconsin. The email address given for him is cwbulletman (at) aol.com. I broke up the address so it can't be harvested by robots, but I'm sure you know how to read it!
J.
Thanks very much Jobe, I fired him of an e-mail. Texas..

While I was reviewing the Spencer Repeating Arms Book by Marriot (page 222) I see that the 56-50 ammo varies greatly in bullet size depending on the manufacture and even within the same company. for example Winchester ammo with the H headstamp shows .521, .525, .526, .528, and .530 diameters. While other manufactures show .494, .495, .496, .500, .501. If we go to the 56-52 cartridge its .520, .524, .528, .529, .530, .535. and the 56-56 shows .534, .541, .545, .548, .551, and .557. Indeed a large variation in bullet sizes. Early rifles I've found do not all have the same size bore even though they are designated for the same caliber. When you are reloading cartridges this becomes much more prevalent when striving for accuracy. I've noticed this with several 41 Swiss that I have reloaded for and had the chance to shoot. Thus my quest for bullets in the .526 diameter range for the Spencer carbine. Or a smaller diameter bullet with a hollow base where the skirts would expand to meet the rifling. if anyone has a idea where to get these I would much appreciate it. Thanks Texas..

Thank you Texas for this post. I was really thinking hard about my sanity. I have a Sharps & Hankins 1862 Navy that is only said to be 52 caliber. The barrel slugs at .542 the chamber cast is straight 56-56.
Short story - or gonna try. Nice gun and the need to shoot it. I went with the Dixie brass rim fire 56-56 that uses a 22 blank.
I finally found a Spencer bullet from S & S Firearms that had the smaller .524 base to fit the case and larger bullet head at .545
I would prefer a .548 but at least I now have a shooter. 46 rounds so far and enjoying it.
Not much help with what your looking for. But I suggest checking out S & S Firearms. They have a great selection. No real specs, you need to ask, but they were quick with replies. I had looked high and low, and finally found my starting point. Many thanks Texas.
#1 would be the info above you provided on all the different sizes used even though they are designated for the same caliber.
That itself made me glow. No comments were ever made, but as I said. I felt my findings were being overlooked as. You have to be doing something incorrect. No mention had ever been made where I could actually find the info you provided.
Thanks again and hope you get there.
PS: Dixie Brass is awesome for the 56-56 rim fire. Spendy, but I'm real happy. I have no problem with firing pin strikes getting to the case. Some mention that in reviews. Different guns, etc. Just saying for those that find interest in this brass. I suggest not using 22 blanks. They swell at the end and difficult to remove. More labor induced, but I remove bullet and powder from 22 CB shorts and then trim to length. Also, they are single fire only. The cartridge needs aligned for the pin strike.

Back