America's Unwilling Immigrants, Women Of Grace, Grace Time

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Keep bumping into these women- ' women of color '.( not my term, the era term and later. Think in 2016, isn't it ' women '? ) Wish so very much a name would be attached to these. Frequently there will be some made-up nonsense. You can tell because a. It'll be on Pinterest and ( hold on ) b. There will be several.

Not a sterling era for our African American population- mostly unwilling immigrants. But. We tend to be introduced to myth, real enough and tragic yes, the myth being surprised to find the Elizabeth Kecklys out there. Rather glorious women, bright, talented, accomplished- oh wait! Just as one would expect a talented, ambitious, driven female of her era. Perhaps these are not quite Keckleys- singular, you must admit- as genius, Still, always enjoy these. Something deeply satisfying in the knowledge some of our sisters sharing this massive blue and green rock hurtling through Time were claiming dignity, one would think, unaware anyone felt they should not.

The thread owes existence to this first photo- crazy about it. Maybe something about my daughter in her stillness or expression, I can't tell.

african american woman1.jpg

Another all-time favorite. this woman's grace and beauty flattens me. I'd also give around a bajillion dollars to wear her dress for one day.

36991v.jpg

I've used her image before, please excuse. She's just so enjoyable.

38705r.jpg

Nobody please identify her as a New Orleans creole on the grounds she is beautifully dressed. or any of these women. Northern cities held their own attractions and strong communities.

ssen232.jpg

White, ' young lady ' gloves! OH I remember these!

ssen21crop.jpg

What a wonderful, self possessed young lady.

ssen22.jpg

There is a lot of sweetness and something else, you can't put your finger on in this girl-woman's face. 12? 13?

ssen25.jpg

Church clothing, which you ( ahem, we... ) took off the second you got him, saving it for next week. SO dressed up for their photo!

ssen29.jpg

She reminds me of my grAunt Carrie, oh SO much, the same intensity, same curls for that matter, the same impression that here is a child it would be wise to keep a good eye on. Isn't she perfect?

aa5.jpg

WHY can we not have these lace touches back?

aa4.jpg

aa3.jpg

very ' Quaker', still, beautifully put together- suspect her dress to be linen.
KECKLEY-superJumbo.jpg

keck.jpg

And of course Duchess Elizabeth Keckley. If she was not, she should have been. And I'm pretty sure titles are nonsense. ( Kate and William's little ones notwithstanding- a sucker for babies- they are ALL royalty. )

Back