American Heritage Engravings of the Battle of Shiloh.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Hanging out as my wife looked over an antique store today I saw a dealer who was selling these 19th Century newspaper engravings which have had watercolors added to. I opted not to purchase any of the twenty Confederate Leaders nor the twenty-four Union Leaders, but did pick out a couple of the Civil War Battle Scenes. This 13 by 9 7/8 inches is The Battle of Shiloh - Recapture of Artillery by the First Ohio and Other Regiments Under General Rousseau, April 7th, 1862.

shiloh 3.jpg

I was wondering if others were seeing these items from the American Heritage Engravings at antique malls and such. If so what do you think of them? Should have I purchased one of the Jackson ones?

Looks great. I don't often visit antique shops so I can't say that I have seen those. Was it in a plastic sleeve? What was the other one you picked up? Might I also ask how much you paid for it/them?

Looks great. I don't often visit antique shops so I can't say that I have seen those. Was it in a plastic sleeve? What was the other one you picked up? Might I also ask how much you paid for it/them?

Yes it was in a plastic sleeve. I also pick up the Battle of Vicksburg etching. They were $15 each. I liked the etching of Custer but passed on it. I am not really sure what to do with the etchings but will probably put them with my uniform plates in large format folders. My personal library is out of control, but this is not a real issue for me. I have attended Civil War reenactments where smaller postcard size images of Michigan etchings were for sale of Michigan Civil War images which had had watercolor added to Civil War era newspaper etchings.

I often wish my personal library had a bit more open wall space. Should I get rid of books so I can have more wall space? Trick question, what I need to do is to hire a contractor to double the size of my library. Perhaps I should plan ahead and triple the size of my library.

Last edited:
Yes it was in a plastic sleeve. I also pick up the Battle of Vicksburg etching. They were $15 each. I liked the etching of Custer but passed on it, I am not really sure what to do with the etchings but will probably put them with my uniform plates in large format folders. My personal library is out of control, but this is not a real issue for me.
I probably would have bought a couple too at that price.

I probably would have bought a couple too at that price.

Yes but this was our first stop on our short trip to Grand Rapids and I had no idea what my wife and I might find at other locations on the way to and from Grand Rapids.

Back