CWTrust American Battlefield Trust or Civil War Preservation Trust question.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
I am a member of a local CWRT. We give money to the American Battlefield Trust every year and we also donate money in the name of any of our members who die. So recently when one of our members died we donated $300 to American Battlefield Trust and one of our members added another $300 to the favorite battle of our former CWRT member. American Battlefield Trust was doing one of their matching donation things so the battlefield got $1,200 in preservation money.

So where did the extra $600 come from? Does American Battlefield Trust simply take the money from preserving some other deserving battlefield?

John Winn

Captain
They often enter into deals where they raise a certain percentage of the purchase price of a piece of property. If they meet their goal then other money becomes available through grants and matching funds from various organizations and governmental bodies to complete the purchase. Thus, they often say that one's donation will be matched or, more often, will be "worth" some multiple (e.g. "turn each dollar into five").

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
They often enter into deals where they raise a certain percentage of the purchase price of a piece of property. If they meet their goal then other money becomes available through grants and matching funds from various organizations and governmental bodies to complete the purchase. Thus, they often say that one's donation will be matched or, more often, will be "worth" some multiple (e.g. "turn each dollar into five").
Good. I hated to think my CWRT gave our favorite battlefield money while some other equally deserving battlefield lost out.

Sadly we lost several CWRT members last year and we now need to replace the money we donated, but our loss is battlefield preservation's gain.

Eric Wittenberg

2nd Lieutenant
Keeper of the Scales
Bill,

I work with the Trust frequently, and I am a member of the board of the Central Virginia Battlefields Trust ("CVBT"). CVBT not only engages in land acquisition itself, we also act as one of the ABT's local preservation advocacy groups and work as a partner with the Trust--we sometimes do joint land acquisitions. Consequently, I am familiar with how this stuff works.

Typically, the matching funds come from governmental grants, either from the American Battlefield Protection Program administered by the National Park Service, state funding, and occasionally, from large donors who agree to match whatever is raised by the various fundraising campaigns.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
Bill,

I work with the Trust frequently, and I am a member of the board of the Central Virginia Battlefields Trust ("CVBT"). CVBT not only engages in land acquisition itself, we also act as one of the ABT's local preservation advocacy groups and works as a partner with the Trust--we sometimes do joint land acquisitions. Consequently, I am familiar with how this stuff works.

Typically, the matching funds come from governmental grants, either from the American Battlefield Protection Program administered by the National Park Service, state funding, and occasionally, from large donors who agree to match whatever is raised by the various fundraising campaigns.

I hope that helps.
Thank you for the information. It is my hope that my local CWRT will not have any members die this year so we can just make a larger contribution at the end of the year. It is easier to replace some money than it is to replace one of our dear members.

Eric Wittenberg

2nd Lieutenant
Keeper of the Scales
Thank you for the information. It is my hope that my local CWRT will not have any members die this year so we can just make a larger contribution at the end of the year. It is easier to replace some money than it is to replace one of our dear members.
You're welcome!

I completely understand. I hope so, too. As I travel the country speaking to groups, I am struck by the sheer volume of gray hair and lack of young people that I see. It really is a matter of great concern.

Nathanb1

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
I am totally entranced by the change from Civil War Trust to American Battlefield Trust. I think it was a great move, personally. I've been a very small-time donor since I was at Sam Houston, so that would be '04 or so. I'm just ticked I gave a donation for Neal's birthday and now all my email comes addressed to him :D I was just reading about Abraham and Isaac Wheeler, who were only a small part of the Wheeler family and relations in an original minuteman company from Massachusetts (one of the cousins died at Valley Forge). Anything they can do to preserve all our battlefields is well worth it!

Eric Wittenberg

2nd Lieutenant
Keeper of the Scales
I am totally entranced by the change from Civil War Trust to American Battlefield Trust. I think it was a great move, personally. I've been a very small-time donor since I was at Sam Houston, so that would be '04 or so. I'm just ticked I gave a donation for Neal's birthday and now all my email comes addressed to him :D I was just reading about Abraham and Isaac Wheeler, who were only a small part of the Wheeler family and relations in an original minuteman company from Massachusetts (one of the cousins died at Valley Forge). Anything they can do to preserve all our battlefields is well worth it!
There really wasn't much choice, Tedra. There was no other organization with the know-how, contacts, infrastructure, or network of well-heeled donors to do for Revolutionary War and War of 1812 sites what the Trust was doing for Civil War sites. It was largely by default, but it has certainly worked out for the best.

Nathanb1

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
There really wasn't much choice, Tedra. There was no other organization with the know-how, contacts, infrastructure, or network of well-heeled donors to do for Revolutionary War and War of 1812 sites what the Trust was doing for Civil War sites. It was largely by default, but the it has certainly worked out for the best.
Agreed! In fact, I always wondered why we weren't (we as in the inclusion of donors--and a lucky attendee at the 2008 Teacher Institute) preserving all battlefields. It makes me smile, for sure. Wonder if the Battle of Alamance qualifies since it was pre-revolution?