America Flirted with Legalized Prostitution During the Civil War

The name of the boat was, "Idahoe" Yikes.

No surprise. Women were 2nd class citizens (legally speaking) during this time period. A step above bondage. It was most definitely a man's world at the time. The push for rights of women to be treated as equals, didn't gain traction until the next century.

The sex industry has flourished since before the time of the immaculate conception. It will continue to as well. That plenty of folks are repulsed by the industry doesn't change the fact that, it's a successful enterprise for many. Just like in the article of the OP, most places where it's legal, have positive economic, & health benefits. People (male & female), are going to do, what they want, regardless of who it offends.

My comments are not an endorsement of the industry. Though, I can certainly see where plenty benefit from it, one way or another. I believe in freedom. Part of that is, to choose a lifestyle, or profession I don't personally care for. Like many of us, I would not want a daughter, or grand daughter of mine, making a living in that way.

Yes, pretty big on the whole freedom thing too, more so as we're more and more confined . Getting a little crazy. IMO, our biggest problem seems to be that we're still terrible at protecting those who can't protect themselves. It's one thing to be an adult and choose this on purpose, another to resort to it through desperation. I saw a documentary on the legalized ' ranches ' ( not a steer in sight ). There were several women working there who genuinely considered it a job, a few had kids who couldn't support them with a McJob, were saving money ( one college kid ), one woman saving the family house and could find no other way. Because it's legal, an entire medical staff was in house along with security guards. It's this judgement that seems hard to overcome.

You're right ( IMO for what it's worth! ), on a lot here, it's been around since Day 1 and won't be leaving soon. I wouldn't want to see my kid doing it but she had a good chance in life, you know?

@Viper21 it's still a ''man's'' world, then, about that kind of man, i don't reflect my self .. mentality, how we felt so down ?!
anyway though prostitution isn't just the oldest profession of the mankind but was a cult in times when people surely didn't believe what we think since too much time.

Last edited:
Tennessee was Occupied, during the War. What did Tennessee have to do with it? Good old Godless Northerners! ...On the Northern home front, the Irish were replacing the women in the sewing trades in the Big City, NYC, and the number of Streetwalkers were growing at a high rate.

...it seems any merest / marginal / far-fetched / silly scrap of an account that can be used to "defend" the slave South just has to be played. It's apparently reached that level of desperation. One can't even own up to being Lost Cause anymore, it's just too socially embarrassing. Notice the latest attempts to literally imply that the "so-called" Lost Cause was only ever a thing created by "Yankees" to deride Southerners (meaning white Southerners).

It seems every month now we hear of yet another symbol of the slave South that's being removed in a too-late attempt to achieve historical balance, to tell the full story of Southern heritage and not just its worst four years. As these symbols come down we will see increased desperation and even more marginal projections of slave-South morality. It's frustrating for self-appointed "defenders" of the slave South because there are so few symbols of slavery in the North to be taken down to "get even." Tilting at windmills.

And after all that, what most of us here want is to honor the folks that were caught up in the Civil War: soldiers North and South, their families and the black population and their families. Most of us realize there's a difference between playing Civil War and understanding Civil War.

Last edited:
...it seems any merest / marginal / far-fetched / silly scrap of an account that can be used to "defend" of the slave South just has to be played. It's apparently reached that level of desperation. One can't even own up to being Lost Cause anymore, it's just too socially embarrassing. Notice the latest attempts to literally imply that the "so-called" Lost Cause was only ever a thing created by "Yankees" to deride Southerners (meaning white Southerners).

It seems every month now we hear of yet another symbol of the slave South that's being removed in a too-late attempt to achieve historical balance, to tell the full story of Southern heritage and not just its worst four years. As these symbols come down we will see increased desperation and even more marginal projections of slave-South morality. It's frustrating for self-appointed "defenders" of the slave South because there are so few symbols of slavery in the North to be taken down to "get even." Tilting at windmills.

And after all that, what most of us here want is to honor the folks that were caught up in the Civil War: soldiers North and South, their families and the black population and their families. Most of us realize there's a difference between playing Civil War and understanding Civil War.
What exactly does this post have to do with the topic of: America Flirted with Legalized Prostitution During the Civil War

Based on yesterday's exchange, I was under the impression you were a stickler for staying on topic. :eek:

...it seems any merest / marginal / far-fetched / silly scrap of an account that can be used to "defend" of the slave South just has to be played. It's apparently reached that level of desperation. One can't even own up to being Lost Cause anymore, it's just too socially embarrassing. Notice the latest attempts to literally imply that the "so-called" Lost Cause was only ever a thing created by "Yankees" to deride Southerners (meaning white Southerners).

It seems achieve historical balance, to tell the full story of Southern heritage and not just its worst four years. As these symbols come down we will see increased desperation and even more marginal projections of slave-South morality. It's frustrating for self-appointed "defenders" of the slave South because there are so few symbols of slavery in the North to be taken down to "get even." Tilting at windmills.

And after all that, what most of us here want is to honor the folks that were caught up in the Civil War: soldiers North and South, their families and the black population and their families. Most of us realize there's a difference between playing Civil War and understanding Civil War.[/QUOTE

So, I guess now Northern use of Prostitutes was caused by the South. It was Tennessee's fault, Prostitution exploded during the War, because of Northern Occupation? The Length some go to blame the whole mess on the South. Guess it was the Souths fault, Northerners, Dropped Their Pants. LOL

What is EMBARRASSING is those who have such a Bigotry of anything Southern and for anything about the Civil War, They can't understand.

Those who spend all their time, trying to Butcher Southern History, should spend a little time studying their own. You might be surprised at what Influence, Slavery, Slave Trading, had on the North. The Slave Trade continued thru the War and was principled in NYC. 1.6 million were trafficked. Along with Coolies to Peru and Cuba. So, NYC Harbor would be a good Monument to Slavery.

Was prostitution actually outlawed in New Orleans! In many cities such has New York City even if prostitution was outlawed the police were so openly corrupt it just didn't matter. Prostitution was known to be rather open in Richmond and Washington DC
Leftyhunter
Sources, please.

Sources, please.
One can easily Google "Prostitution Civil War Richmond" many articles pop up. How do you think a large number of Southern women fed their children? It's not like there was a comprehensive welfare system in the South or North. Women did what they had to do. It's not about morality it's about necessity.
Leftyhunter

There are a few threads on this. IMO because it seems so tantalizingly scandalous what gets missed is why there were so many women resorting to prostitution. The war displaced many women, orphaned other young girls and widowed more.They were sex workers so they would not die. Not much has changed, if it's one's single recourse it's what you do. If soldiers and the armies were plagued by diseases inseparable from frequenting brothels, women were plagued by the poverty putting them there.

Images of happy, ' loose ', scantily ( for the day, boy have things changed there ) clad women yukking it up with customers, everyone having a blast bug the bejammers out of me. It was an awful life. " I want to be a prostitute when I grow up " said no little girl, ever. These articles tend to focus on men despite being about women. No idea why.
Prostitution was the most profitable means of earning a living ,since jobs of high positions were filled by men or even boys.In every war there has been a limited restriction on prostitution,one because the difficulty in enforcement and then the profit .Women were operators of some of the best houses and clients of influential positions would visit and even have romantic relations with the ladies.The madams of these houses became wealthy citizens but were skilled at maintaining the privacy of the business.The reason that prostitution ,besides the moral aspects and the harm to women,diseases was the main reasons that this profession was brought into the legal courts.Man brings his lover or wife a gift from the local House was not very kind.So remember that men did enjoy the pleasure in this ,women did play a "role" in it also.

Any Diary on war time Richmond or Washington DC especially concerning the Provost Marshal.
Leftyhunter
Lefty, I noted you were asking for specific sources in your post number 18. I thought it was reasonable to ask you for specific sources in my post number 27. I don't think "any diary on war time Richmond or Wahington" is specific at all, but what the heck?...

Lefty, I noted you were asking for specific sources in your post number 18. I thought it was reasonable to ask you for specific sources in my post number 27. I don't think "any diary on war time Richmond or Wahington" is specific at all, but what the heck?...
Your reply does not make sense. I merely asked @uaskme where in his referenced article is race mentioned in regards to the Union Armies policy regarding the treatment of prostitutes. So far @uaskme as not responded. How did I make an unreasonable request?
I merely pointed out all major American cities had significant prostitution during g the ACW especially Richmond and New Orleans plus NYC. How is that a false statement?
Leftyhunter

One can easily Google "Prostitution Civil War Richmond" many articles pop up. How do you think a large number of Southern women fed their children? It's not like there was a comprehensive welfare system in the South or North. Women did what they had to do. It's not about morality it's about necessity.
Leftyhunter
That's fine. I'm sure one can do that. However, I was asking you to do that. It's not that I disagree with your contention so much. As amatter of fact, I don't. I was asking you to cite some articles or other sources for me. You respond by telling me to go find my own sources. I see.

That's fine. I'm sure one can do that. However, I was asking you to do that. It's not that I disagree with your contention so much. As amatter of fact, I don't. I was asking you to cite some articles or other sources for me. You respond by telling me to go find my own sources. I see.
They pop up very easily. We have had previous discussions of this issue on Confederate Provost Marshal's by @major bill . Hopefully he can link them for you. Honestly how hard is it to Google "Civil War prostitution in Richmond VA".
Leftyhunter

Back