Ambrotype of unidentified black soldier

chubachus

First Sergeant
ambrotype black soldier.jpg

Smithsonian says he is a USCT Union soldier, but I think the uniform looks more foreign. French maybe? Anybody have any more insight?

Source.

All I can say is that from the part of the weapon we can see it certainly looks like an 1861 Springfield. That would make sense for USCT. On the other hand often (usually) the weapons these people carry in ambrotypes are studio props. That really just suggests that it is a US image.

Sorry I can't be of any greater help though the uniform just doesn't look 'right' to me. Can't say an more than that.

Still, an intriguing photo.

It definitely looks like a fluffy tassel, which also makes me think Zouave. But other than that his uniform just looks pretty Union. Which wouldn't be unusual for a Union Zouave. I think it's interesting that the tassel is featured prominently in the picture, like it's important, and exactly where it would hang if it was dangling from the hat (not tucked behind an ear or something).
Also, could it be a 1863 Springfield instead of 1861? Since they didn't officially start allowing black soldiers until May 1863, even though there were some previous to that. But would they have given them full uniforms and good weapons before 1863?
upload_2018-9-27_15-53-48.jpeg

He is wearing Eagle buttons and I believe that the fizzy thing is a blotch on the tintype. Just sayin

That's not an 1861 Springfield; there are no barrel band springs. It's an 1863. I'm guessing that you can't see the brim of his cap because of the angle. It's thin and blends into his hair. There's something behind his ear, though, but I can't make it out.

Yes I can see the brim of his cap. Look closely at image and you should be able to the brim.

I just found this in the Civil War Photo Sleuth:
I think the fellows in the two pictures look very similar. Though the one below is definitely younger than the other. Thoughts? Could this be the guy? Same nose, ears, eyes, chin - face in above picture is filled out a little more, and he's wearing a hat, so you can see his ears better in the other photo. In the photo above the guy is thinner. On first glance I thought it couldn't be him, but the more I compare the features, the more it looks like it could be the guy.
upload_2018-11-19_11-5-48.jpeg

(Also in the Library of Congress)
https://www.civilwarphotosleuth.com/photos/view/24374

The uniform coat doesn't correspond to any regulation garment: it's neither a four-button sack coat nor a nine-button frock coat. (And I believe the buttons are too small for either.) There are too many buttons and they're placed too close together, like the twelve button fronts on cavalry or artillery shell jackets or even the jackets worn by members of the Invalid Corps. The buttons appear to be the medium-sized ones usually worn on sack coats: too small for frock coat or greatcoat buttons, but too large for shell jacket buttons. I agree with @mofederal that it looks like nothing so much as a bucktail on his forage cap.

I think it's a frock coat. The buttons look like ordinary medium sized eagle buttons, and there are 9 in the picture. The soldier is small, and probably short. Look at how narrow his shoulders are. He's like a size 36 suit coat. I think he's quite young, too.

Back