Amazing revelations in an old pic

There was another nominee for the site. I think the Palmetto Artillery site looks good. Just need to line it up with the house/barn in the background
Mr. Kohr explains that "The trees in the right background are near the site of the Peter Rogers House on the Emmitsburg Road." and "Thanks to Gettysburg Licensed Battlefield Guide John Zervas for convincing a group of LBGs that the Gardner photograph was taken from this angle."

Mr. Kohr explains that "The trees in the right background are near the site of the Peter Rogers House on the Emmitsburg Road." and "Thanks to Gettysburg Licensed Battlefield Guide John Zervas for convincing a group of LBGs that the Gardner photograph was taken from this angle."

I am unconvinced that the wagons are on the Emmitsburg Road due to lack of fence posts. Some posts should still be standing, based on reviews of contemporary photos. Also I consider the building in the background to be the key. It has yet to be identified.

Guess nobody has come up with the Gettysburg spot where that initial picture as taken. I hope to be there in a couple of weeks and will snoop around where Alexander's BN was set up. They took a big hit on July 2nd.

I visited the area with fellow board member Judi and her husband Veryl on Sat Jan 15th and think I found the spot. The building in the background appears to be the Snyder house which is about 300 yards south of Millerstown Road along the east side of West Confederate Ave. The reason I say this is that the house is distinctive in that the side of the original House is not pierced with windows or doors as is the building in the photo.

The site of the photo appears to be along Porter Alexander's gun line about 30 feet from the west side of West Conf. Ave around where Caleb's battery was set up. There is a slope towards today's park road but was a farm track in 1863 that was used by Alexander when he emerged from cover to set up his guns on July 2nd.

The forge and wagons appear to on this track between the slope and the farm house. The wagons were pulled by two draft animals , whilst heavily laden supply wagons usually used four or six animals. I suspect the wagons may have belonged to an artillery battery and may include an ambulance.The absence of any posts along the 70 yard track convinces me that they were not along the Emittsburg Road. Rails were used for campfires but securely planted posts often survived.

My guess anyway.

Back