Brass Napoleon Award Amazing Grace, Remembered; A Count Of Honor, Please, Our Lost Nurses

@Harms88 , haven't been able to find more records for awhile. They're out there. Some of the women in this thread are well known names, like Arabella Barlow. Sometimes it was disease, sometimes disease killed them because exhaustion got them first.

It's time to get moving on this thread again anyway, with our medical professionals once again in harm's way.

@Harms88 , haven't been able to find more records for awhile. They're out there. Some of the women in this thread are well known names, like Arabella Barlow. Sometimes it was disease, sometimes disease killed them because exhaustion got them first.

It's time to get moving on this thread again anyway, with our medical professionals once again in harm's way.
Thank you for bumping this thread. It is an important time to remember the sacrifice of our nurses.

Thank you for bumping this thread. It is an important time to remember the sacrifice of our nurses.

I actually hadn't thought about it until you brought it up in Harm88's thread- there are huge similarities, aren't there? SO many doctors and nurses raised their hands to serve, so many never came home, most had PTSD. You just can't be on the front lines with so much suffering and death without being terribly affected. They're out there now, same thing.

Yeah, not just the nurses though. Like in New York, they were saying up to a fourth of all police officers have tested positivve for the virus.

I actually hadn't thought about it until you brought it up in Harm88's thread- there are huge similarities, aren't there? SO many doctors and nurses raised their hands to serve, so many never came home, most had PTSD. You just can't be on the front lines with so much suffering and death without being terribly affected. They're out there now, same thing.

There are stories of both here and from Italy where the doctors have broken down because the grief and despair has gotten to them. There’s a nurse in NYC I believe she’s from where she was a combat medic in Afghanistan and she’s said that her tours of duty never prepared her for what she’s dealing with right now.

Yeah, not just the nurses though. Like in New York, they were saying up to a fourth of all police officers have tested positivve for the virus.
All these services work in tandem with eachother, and all of them can invariably put their lives on the line depending on the circumstances. The truth is you can't get any more frontline than a soldier, police officer, a firey, or an EMT/Paramedic. They deserve our utmost respect, and are providing protection for everyone else while their own needs take second place to whatever crisis they are dealing with at the time. It's an unenviable position, and then we have the people who pick up the pieces. But all of them are vulnerable.

Right now we have a 'medical' crisis, but medics are not the only people being affected in terms of overseeing the crisis. It's a fact that has been overlooked, and the point you make just goes to show that.

And I don't think anything has prepared us for this one. But, @JPK Huson 1863 makes a good point.

most had PTSD. You just can't be on the front lines with so much suffering and death without being terribly affected.

So this belongs here. Genuinely grateful to @Mrs. V for the chance hear this hymn in 2020 - and right at this moment in time.It's got to be the Thank You sound track to those women and men 150 years ago, through other wars and into yesterday who raised their hand for all of us.

I realize it's a religious song and we try to stay away from that here on CWT. Once in awhile you can't, as with this hymn. That's a huge part of who we were hence one reason it's so incredibly moving when Mrs. V. rockets us back in Time. Like a lot of things you can't quite put your finger on it. It's probably a mistake to try.

Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found;
Was blind, but now I see.

’Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears relieved;
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils, and snares,
I have already come;
’Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me,
His Word my hope secures;
He will my Shield and Portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess, within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

The earth shall soon dissolve like snow,
The sun forbear to shine;
But God, who called me here below,
Will be forever mine.

It's especially important, if not vital these nurses and hospital staff who lost their lives while working to save others are remembered. Doctors died in staggering numbers too. Front line workers.

91. Professor Hadley, Post 108, Sanitary Commission attached to the 9th​ Army Corp, at City Point, Disease and exhaustion, August 2, 1864, at the wharf as his steamer arrived, Washington, DC,

92. Mr. G. C. Edgerley, Post 108, Sanitary Commission Agent, July 15th​ 1864, New Orleans, of measles contracted while nursing at Cairo.

93. William Wilson. Post 109, Note states probably youngest member of Relief Corps. August 4th​, 1864, aboard steamer S.E. Brown, on the James River off City Point of gunshot wounds when guerillas fired on the boat.

94. Mrs. Jerusha R. Small, post #110 , died of galloping consumption, virulent TB, after exhausting herself nursing, reached home to Iowa, dying in 1862.

It's a slow process, documenting nurses who died because they raised their hands to salvage human wreckage from this shambles called war. They did it because it mattered, each soldier mattered and a lot. No one asked who the wounded were, how much they earned, what was their religion. These were men in need. So nurses helped. And some died.

Back