NF Alvarez Kelly vs. Major Dundee

Non-Fiction
Major Dundee was based on the fevered imagination of Sam Peckinpah. It was an early practice run for his masterpiece, Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia.

Reactions: Sbc
If either one of those movies had a technical adviser and director who was "more up" on history a much better film would have been produced. But they both were still pretty good films. Both are still on my list of favorite westerns.At least they didn't have Richard Widmark shooting William Holden's finger off with a SAA .45 Colt. It sure ruins a movie (for me anyway) when they use weapons that weren't even invented yet.

If either one of those movies had a technical adviser and director who was "more up" on history a much better film would have been produced. But they both were still pretty good films. Both are still on my list of favorite westerns.At least they didn't have Richard Widmark shooting William Holden's finger off with a SAA .45 Colt. It sure ruins a movie (for me anyway) when they use weapons that weren't even invented yet.
Only a few people notice inaccuracies, it is a business to maximize profit through storytelling, not a documentary.

I didn't realize the the title to this thread mentions a Major Benteen. Was there a movie by that name? Are we talking about Dundee or Benteen?

There was a movie title Alvarez Kelly and a movie titled Major Dundee.

I made a mistake in the thread title which I just fixed.

With only a very few exceptions Hollywood has done a very poor job of portraying the ACW with any serious attempt at historical accuracy. It's mostly filled with clichés. Understandably, this has always been an entertainment business so we shouldn't expect much else. With that said as a kid I did enjoy watching Alvarez Kelly and Major Dundee. I'm thinking of starting a new thread about ACW movies but being fairly new here maybe you have all hashed this out before.

Bill

With only a very few exceptions Hollywood has done a very poor job of portraying the ACW with any serious attempt at historical accuracy. It's mostly filled with clichés. Understandably, this has always been an entertainment business so we shouldn't expect much else. With that said as a kid I did enjoy watching Alvarez Kelly and Major Dundee. I'm thinking of starting a new thread about ACW movies but being fairly new here maybe you have all hashed this out before.

Bill

Yes there are other threads, but I keep coming across movies I don't remember seeing when I was a kid. Plus don't forget the television series Johnny Yuma.

I enjoyed both of them a great deal as they were both very entertaining, if I wanted semi historical accuracy; I would watch C Spam.

Back