Aloha from Paradise

cash

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Aloha everyone. For those who don't know me, I figured I'd let you know where I'm coming from. I'm a died-in-the-wool Unionist, but am second to none in my admiration for the fighting qualities and honor of all the soldiers who fought this terrible war. I got interested in the Civil War more than 20 years ago, when I was one of the bright, shiny faces sitting in Prof. James I. Robertson's History of the Civil War and Reconstruction class. I've been hooked ever since. Prof. Robertson, a great teacher as well as a first-class historian by the way, instilled not only an interest in the war but also an admiration for Thomas J. Jackson. Even though I learned my Civil War history with a southern accent, my heart will always be with the Union.

Right now I divide my time between Honolulu and Las Vegas, living in both cities but spending the vast majority of my time in Honolulu--wouldn't you?

But it looks like that may change, as I might be moving in the near future.

Here's hoping I can show the rebs in the group the error of their ways.

Regards,
Cash

Last edited by a moderator:

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

johan_steele

Regimental Armorer
Welcome aboard Cash... Hawaii, you can keep it, didn't care for my experiance w/ the state. I guess I refuse to be surrounded by the ocean and I need snow in the winter.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Dear Cash,

Us diehard Unionists can always use another man in blue! Good to have you 'come up' and lend a hand with the fray. Enjoy your time here on the board, its one of the best around.

Sincerely,
Unionblue
PS Spent four, wonderful years in Hawaii as a guest of the United States Army out at Schofield Barracks and Kunia. Ever hear of USAFS Kunia out your way?

cash

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Hey, we've got snow too, Shane. You have to go to the Big Island, but in the winter there's snow on Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea. They also just happen to be the world's most active volcanoes.

Regards,
Cash

cash

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
I don't make it up to the Schofield/Wheeler area too often, Neil. I don't think USAFS Kunia is active anymore. I work in Halawa Heights, which overlooks Pearl Harbor and Honolulu Harbor.

Regards,
Cash

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Cash,

Yep, in my four years on the island, I had occasion to come down your way. My family and I were there from 1981 to 1985 there abouts and it was my one Army tour that was just like the post cards. I had a great time there. I'm not surprised Kunia is not there anymore. The equipment I used at the time is way outdated now, gathering intelligence via morse code signals.

I am very curious about how classes were like with James I. Robertson. I have read many of his books and am very impressed with his take on the war and the 'Lost Cause.' What were his classes on Reconstruction like?

YMOS,
Unionblue

cash

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Prof. Robertson's classes were most excellent. He is an outstanding lecturer. The hard part was taking notes because all you want to do is sit there and listen to him. He didn't spend much time on Reconstruction at the end, and I can't really remember what he said about it.

What I remember most about the class were the catch-phrases he used. In talking about the common soldiers, he would always refer to them as "Johnny Reb" and "Billy Yank." Or actually, in Robertson's pronunciation, "Johnny Web and Biwwy Yank."

He always referred to Jubal Early as "Uncle Jubal Early," and he had a very deep and abiding respect for Lincoln, Grant, Lee, and Jackson.

Regards,
Cash

USAFS Kunia alumni....

Cash and Union Blue,
I was at USAFS Kunia and I'm a yankee from Indiana thru and thru. I was there 1980 - 1983. Me and Royce Sarasal are looking for Kunia alumni too. I'm at rdjgunsmith@msn.com and Royce has a web site about Guam www.13N144E.com. Log in and say hi. We're both looking for long lost Army friends. I was an 05 and could copy morse code like a nut. Still can (ham license). Royce was in the Comm center. We talk alot about Kunia and how we can't find anyone who was in the first crew to open her up, Dec 79-Feb 80. Anyway come see us. I'll be back. You won't get rid of this yankee. -- Glimmer31 / RD Jones / For those of you who know and might remember... BRD. To the rest of you Yankee's out there (and to you misguided boys in grey) HI!

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
Welcome, Glimmer:

Good to have you aboard. You'll surely get to loving this board as we all do.
Ole

gary

Captain
Johnny Web & Biwwy Yank

A belated welcome to you Cash and thank you for your insights on the good professor and his pronounciation of Johnny Web and Biwwy Yank. Welcome Glimmer.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!