Allen & Thurber 5 shot Pepperbox

Florida Lee

Private
6F060750-F084-4D19-B53C-7B444B8C4E87.jpeg
5CA27142-C645-465E-9319-397A7B08B73A.jpeg
E8092FFF-2CDB-41CE-8932-825D5C69ED80.jpeg
C2EFDC2C-504E-4207-A47C-3E89E48C86D6.jpeg
I picked this up years ago. I just thought it was so cute. Don’t see many 5 shots, most are 6. Bone or ivory grips?? Patd 1845 Worchester. No idea ofcaliber. Seems to be good condition for its age, someone filed down the nuckle busting screw many moons ago. Any details would be much appreciated!!
Mark

Check the information on the various models of these Allen & Thurber "Pepperboxes" in Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms as there are 7 pages on these pistols. You can generally find the 9th edition for sale in some gun or sporting goods shops.

The grips may be bone and a very old time-period replacement as I see none in Flayderman with ivory or bone grips of the couple dozen shown. You can determine the caliber with a micrometer inserted into the muzzles.

You can occasionally see CW photos of soldiers with one of these tucked into their belt -- either as a secondary weapon or photographer's prop.

Check the information on the various models of these Allen & Thurber "Pepperboxes" in Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms as there are 7 pages on these pistols. You can generally find the 9th edition for sale in some gun or sporting goods shops.

The grips may be bone and a very old time-period replacement as I see none in Flayderman with ivory or bone grips of the couple dozen shown. You can determine the caliber with a micrometer inserted into the muzzles.

You can occasionally see CW photos of soldiers with one of these tucked into their belt -- either as a secondary weapon or photographer's prop.

Thanks Ralph,
The most information I have seen since I bought this. It does mention ivory grips as being rare. Available as an E- book, the internet is a wonderful tool. I thought this thread would be more popular but.........maybe I will show you my revolver next! Sure to be a hit.
Mark

Mark

Would be interesting to know if the nipple shield on your pepperbox is attached by 4 small screws or is integral with the frame.

Looking at you photos it appears that your gun is either 31 or 32 caliber.

Mark A

View attachment 179513
View attachment 179515 View attachment 179516 View attachment 179517 View attachment 179518
Mark A.
The nipple shield is part of the frame, integral, I have always wanted tofire this. #11 caps seem just a little too small. Yours looks very nice!! Any advice on how to clean mine up or better off left alone??
Thanks,
Mark

Very Nice Pepper Box

Mark

Would be interesting to know if the nipple shield on your pepperbox is attached by 4 small screws or is integral with the frame.

Looking at you photos it appears that your gun is either 31 or 32 caliber.

Mark A

View attachment 179513
View attachment 179515 View attachment 179516 View attachment 179517 View attachment 179518
Mark A.
The nipple shield is part of the frame, integral, I have always wanted tofire this. #11 caps seem just a little too small. Yours looks very nice!! Any advice on how to clean mine up or better off left alone??
Thanks,
Mark

Better left alone. In good condition it's a $400 pepperbox, cleaning it won't increase the value and may hurt it's value.

Love those pepperboxes. In reality though they were extremely unwieldy to shoot and thus dangerous. I just finished putting a pepperbox pistol kit together and decided against making such a tiny handle. That's the problem with them. Grossly front heavy and you could barely grip them. It'd jump out of your hand if you fired it.

Love those pepperboxes. In reality though they were extremely unwieldy to shoot and thus dangerous. I just finished putting a pepperbox pistol kit together and decided against making such a tiny handle. That's the problem with them. Grossly front heavy and you could barely grip them. It'd jump out of your hand if you fired it.
A freind has a derringer that shoots .410 shotgun shells, I doubt this could be any worse.
Any idea what size caps this would take?? I have always wanted to shoot it!

Back