Allegheny Cemetery, Pittsburgh

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
On September 17, 1862, the Allegheny Arsenal exploded a very short distance from this cemetery. The explosion killed 75 workers. The arsenal manufactured munitions for the Union Army. Here is a cemetery marker remembering those who lost their lives in this industrial accident. There is a fence behind the marker because there is a completely different cemetery on the other side of this fence.
untitled shoot-058.jpg

Last edited:
I've been there once myself, but didn't have a guided tour. It's quite a historic cemetery.
From what I understand, if somebody has a large enough group or organization and they provide the cemetery with a small donation (like $10 per person or something), they can arrange to have a cemetery staff member provide a group tour. I belong to a writing club, and club's activity committee booked the tour. We lucked out, and one of the organization's top staff members gave us our tour. He was very enthusiastic about the cemetery's history.

During our tour, he told us that U.S. Grant visited General Hay's grave and smoked a cigar next to it.

(Also, this isn't Civil War related, but Harry K. Thaw (the man who shot the architect Stanford White over White's relationship with Thaw's wife Evelyn Nesbit) is also buried in Allegheny Cemetery. I saw his grave also.)

bdtex

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Regtl. Quartermaster Chickamauga 2018 Vicksburg 2019
Excellent photos @Forks of the Ohio . I visited Pittsburgh in June 2016 and mistakenly went to the site where the Allegheny Arsenal was thinking that is where the monument was. Didn't realize my error until later. Next time in Pittsburgh,the cemetery will be my first stop.

George Thomas

Private
Here is the grave of General Alexander Hays, who was killed in the Battle of the Wilderness.
View attachment 308029
Thanks for the view of the Hays grave. I recently saw the marker where he fell on the Wilderness Battlefield. It is kind of tough spot to see up close. It is just off the west side of the busy Brock Rd., so most people just speed by quickly in the car as they head north to Rt. 3.

Here is a link with the details.

http://stonesentinels.com/the-wilderness/wilderness-battlefield-auto-tour/major-general-alexander-hays/

ErnieMac

Brigadier General
Forum Host
Excellent photos @Forks of the Ohio . I visited Pittsburgh in June 2016 and mistakenly went to the site where the Allegheny Arsenal was thinking that is where the monument was. Didn't realize my error until later. Next time in Pittsburgh,the cemetery will be my first stop.
Enter in the 4700 block of Butler Street. The Arsenal is on 40th Street, so you weren't far away.