All hands on deck! Harts Ford

Ethan S.

First Sergeant
This is one of my biggest research projects, and so far, I'm at a dead end. The button pictured below is a super rare, Confederate staff officers button. Anybody from Major on up could have worn this.

NSTCW22szg.jpg

I found this last year on the edge of Culpeper county, below Waterloo. It was just inside the foundation, of a very old house, down beside Harts Ford. It is known that General J.E.B. Stuart rode across the ford with his command on the 22nd of August (hey that's today!), and at the bridge in Waterloo. Somebody told me (I forget who) that J.E.B. and his staff visited the house several times. I am going to draw or outline a few maps and such of what I know about the place.

Does anybody know how to prove that J.E.B. was there at that house more than once, or at all?

edge of Culpeper county, below Waterloo.
Ethan, one good way to verify location of a specific command is old newspaper articles. Here we see Jackson and Stuart in the vicinity - between Culpeper and Warrenton. In order to get to Warrenton, they would presumably have crossed the Rappahannock?
1566491623678.png

Alexandria Gazette, November 21, 1862, page 2, column 2.

Here's one from March 1863
1566491884400.png

The Abingdon Virginian., March 27, 1863, page 1, column 4.

Do you know how far Harts Ford is from Rappahannock Station? I dont know if this one helps, but here is an account of Buford's cavalry crossing the Rappahannock and driving Stuart's cavalry. It's not the exact date your looking for, but there may be more. I'll keep looking.
1566490890782.png

Alexandria Gazette, August 03, 1863, page 2, column 3.

Last edited:
Back