Announcement: All About CivilWarTalk Operations

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
Owner & Webmaster
1549829637484.png

Hi Everyone,

I want to share with everyone a little information about how CivilWarTalk operates, because we've had a lot of questions recently.

We also need to review a new change the forum....

We recently had an incident that made us re-evaluate how we are running the forum. The good news is that for the most part we are happy with how most things are going and the forum is largely going to stay the same.

However, due to the nature of the incident in question, one of the features we have grown accustomed to will need to change.

Conversations

The Conversation system was recently abused, and in order to protect our forum we will be making a change to the system.

Unfortunately, we need to eliminate the ability to attach images to conversations. Hopefully this won't have a major impact on your conversations, but we want to make sure you know what we are changing. We will be removing this feature very soon, once my testing is complete.

New Submission Forum

For the last few months you've been able to submit images to Ami via Conversations for Trivia and Caption This, but the new rule we are creating will prevent this. To replace this feature a new forum has been created. It will allow you to start a new thread and post an image or send a message, and only Ami and I will be able to see your message.

You can start submitting new Trivia Questions and Caption This Photos immediately using this forum:
https://civilwartalk.com/forums/submission-forum.213/

Ami's Responsibilities as Co-Administrator

As we have grown as a website and tried to become more of a community I have tried to assign Ami more and more responsibility for day to day operations on the forum, and I think she has been doing an awesome job. She has never had any formal history education, she really loves chemistry, and majored in it in college. The idea of getting dirty reenacting or N-SSA skirmishing like I do was never her cup of tea, and I have to give her a ton of credit for putting up with my shenanigans for all these years.

Of course now I'm doing Scouting with my three sons, and I just had to drag her into that too, so she just can't seem to win... But I know she learned to love scouting, so there is always hope for the Civil War stuff!

I can always dream......

One of the big challenges with a forum like ours is the sheer size and scale of it all. Even I'm overwhelmed at times by the topics and the scholarly discussions, it can be hard to decide what's awesome, and what's drivel if you don't know the subject matter. You can just guess what's good, but it's easy to come out looking like a nit-wit instead of like a shiny penny.

Featured Articles on the Home Page

Every morning Ami begins her day looking through the latest discussions for Threads that can be featured. What is she looking for? Anything that is easy to understand, and preferably has some kind of image.

This search for good threads happens from 7 to 7:45am Eastern, and the chosen threads are all scheduled to auto post on the homepage and social media.

In order to submit threads to social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pintrest, Ami usually needs to make sure the thread has shareable content, and a decent image, a good descriptive title, she has to add hashtags if she can, she sometimes needs to add watermarks to protect images from being stolen. Then she repeats this process for every thread featured each day.

Ami's Other Responsibilities Include...

Ami doesn't just do one job each day, she sometime spends hours maintaining a lot of the features we enjoy every day and every week....

Preparing and Scheduling Trivia Questions Daily, Approving Trivia Answers, Collecting and Deciphering new Trivia Submissions, Prepare and Mail Awards for Trivia Game, Setup Caption This, Create memes for Caption This, Setup and Run Monthly Photo Contest, Organize Member of the Month, Run Brass Napoleon Award, Run Ami's SOA, Run Golden Thread Award, Setup tags for members monthly as needed, promote Video Chat Discussions and add promotional information as needed, configure promotional material for cook awards, promote monument Monday, Tuesday book reviews, throwback Thursday, photo Fridays, Photo of the Year Contest submissions and voting setup....

And when she's not working on CivilWarTalk she's doing Dishes, Laundry, making sure the boys are getting on and off the bus, and generally being the best mom. Actually listing this all out, I'm wondering if I need to get her a cape....

Why hasn't your thread been Featured?

Usually it's because Ami didn't see it. Maybe you posted it after 8am, and she moved on to other things in her busy day. She may catch it tomorrow, or if it doesn't get many replies, she may not. If this happens to your thread, let Ami know. Start a thread in the new Submissions Forum and give her a link to the Thread you think deserves to be featured.

It's also possible you forgot to include a relevant photo or image at the TOP of the first post in the thread, if you made this mistake you have 24 hours from posting time to fix your mistake, you can add a missing photo or move one you mistakenly added to the middle or bottom of the post, this will make it easier to share! If you let the 24 hour timer expire, only Ami or I can add a photo, you can send us the photo in the Submissions Forum!

What if you find a thread from years ago that's a gem and you think it deserves to be featured, let us know about those threads too! We love re-surfacing excellent old threads and sharing them with everyone! If there is a series of threads, go crazy and give us a list of threads to feature, this is one of those times when more is more!

One last point to be made...

I've gotten the impression from a few users that there is some kind of bias going on with the way Ami picks Featured Threads, or that maybe I favor certain members who are patrons over other members who are not, or maybe I have a beef with some members on the forum and I've ordered Ami to suppress certain members Threads...

Let me assure everyone that this is not happening. Do we have personal feelings about some members, sure. Do we let those feeling affect the decisions we make on the forum? No. Why not? Because that's simply a poor way to run a business and a community. We understand that we need to run our community in a fair way for everyone.

Ami and I agree that we should and will pick threads to be featured based on the content in the thread, not on the author, so as long as you are providing good quality threads that we can share, we will!

I hope that clears up any questions you may have had!

Last edited by a moderator:

ARW

Sergeant
Forum Host

I've gotten the impression from a few users that there is some kind of bias going on with the way Ami picks Featured Threads, or that maybe I favor certain members who are patrons over other members who are not,
You guys are doing a great job.
I have only been here about 3 months and have seen some of my threads posted on the Home Page. Don't check it everyday so might have missed some, but I figure you pick what you think might draw attention, as it should be. Either way from that it is obvious you do not pick long term members.
Thanks for doing what you do. We are all more educated because of it.

lelliott19

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron

Ami doesn't just do one job each day, she sometime spends hours maintaining a lot of the features we enjoy every day and every week....

Preparing and Scheduling Trivia Questions Daily, Approving Trivia Answers, Collecting and Deciphering new Trivia Submissions, Prepare and Mail Awards for Trivia Game, Setup Caption This, Create memes for Caption This, Setup and Run Monthly Photo Contest, Organize Member of the Month, Run Brass Napoleon Award, Run Ami's SOA, Run Golden Thread Award, Setup tags for members monthly as needed, promote Video Chat Discussions and add promotional information as needed, configure promotional material for cook awards, promote monument Monday, Tuesday book reviews, throwback Thursday, photo Fridays, Photo of the Year Contest submissions and voting setup....

And when she's not working on CivilWarTalk she's doing Dishes, Laundry, making sure the boys are getting on and off the bus, and generally being the best mom. Actually listing this all out, I'm wondering if I need to get her a cape....
Wow. That's a LOT of work. I think you should get her a cape! These are all features that we encounter and use everyday but rarely give much thought to what it takes to keep them running smoothly. Thanks @ami for everything you do to keep CWT running smoothly!

diane

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
I'm sorry you've had problems, Mike. Guess sooner or later there's a funny bunny who just has to mess up a good thing for everyone. Going to miss pictures in the conversations. This is the best CW talk place around - I've been roosting here for years and still haven't seen every nook and cranny! Thanks for the great job you and Ami do.

ami

Major General
Super Moderator
Wow. That's a LOT of work. I think you should get her a cape! These are all features that we encounter and use everyday but rarely give much thought to what it takes to keep them running smoothly. Thanks @ami for everything you do to keep CWT running smoothly!

awww shucks! but as Edna from the Incredibles says "no capes!" don't want to get sucked into a jet turbine! lol

MRB1863

Major
Forum Host
WOW, so much behind the scenes! Most of us probably dont realiize the amount of thankless background work that is done. THANK YOU for all your support in bringing us this great forum!!! One more question though....@ami, can we still submit other images through conversation such as CWT designs???

Last edited:

ami

Major General
Super Moderator
WOW, so much behind the scenesw! Most of us probably dont realiize the amount of thankless background work that is done. THANK YOU for all your support in bringing us this great forum!!! One more question though....@ami, can we still submit other images through conversation such as CWT designs???
I don’t think so, but the new submission forum can be used for that, just be sure to make an appropriate title so I don’t stare at it going “where’s the trivia question!?!?”

hoosier

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Ami has told us to use only one conversation thread for all trivia questions, because it confuses her if people open up a different thread every time they submit a new question.

I have been using the same conversation thread to submit trivia questions for years. I don't think I ever have included an image with a question that I submitted and it's unlikely that I ever will.

Will it be permissible for me to continue to submit trivia questions using my existing conversation thread as long as they do not include images, or will it be mandatory from this point forward to submit all trivia questions, whether they include an image or not, via the new forum and the new forum only?

bdtex

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Regtl. Quartermaster Chickamauga 2018
View attachment 291015

Hi Everyone,

I want to share with everyone a little information about how CivilWarTalk operates, because we've had a lot of questions recently.

We also need to review a new change the forum....

We recently had an incident that made us re-evaluate how we are running the forum. The good news is that for the most part we are happy with how most things are going and the forum is largely going to stay the same.

However, due to the nature of the incident in question, one of the features we have grown accustomed to will need to change.

Conversations

The Conversation system was recently abused, and in order to protect our forum we will be making a change to the system.

Unfortunately, we need to eliminate the ability to attach images to conversations. Hopefully this won't have a major impact on your conversations, but we want to make sure you know what we are changing. We will be removing this feature very soon, once my testing is complete.

New Submission Forum

For the last few months you've been able to submit images to Ami via Conversations for Trivia and Caption This, but the new rule we are creating will prevent this. To replace this feature a new forum has been created. It will allow you to start a new thread and post an image or send a message, and only Ami and I will be able to see your message.

You can start submitting new Trivia Questions and Caption This Photos immediately using this forum:
https://civilwartalk.com/forums/submission-forum.213/

Ami's Responsibilities as Co-Administrator

As we have grown as a website and tried to become more of a community I have tried to assign Ami more and more responsibility for day to day operations on the forum, and I think she has been doing an awesome job. She has never had any formal history education, she really loves chemistry, and majored in it in college. The idea of getting dirty reenacting or N-SSA skirmishing like I do was never her cup of tea, and I have to give her a ton of credit for putting up with my shenanigans for all these years.

Of course now I'm doing Scouting with my three sons, and I just had to drag her into that too, so she just can't seem to win... But I know she learned to love scouting, so there is always hope for the Civil War stuff!

I can always dream......

One of the big challenges with a forum like ours is the sheer size and scale of it all. Even I'm overwhelmed at times by the topics and the scholarly discussions, it can be hard to decide what's awesome, and what's drivel if you don't know the subject matter. You can just guess what's good, but it's easy to come out looking like a nit-wit instead of like a shiny penny.

Featured Articles on the Home Page

Every morning Ami begins her day looking through the latest discussions for Threads that can be featured. What is she looking for? Anything that is easy to understand, and preferably has some kind of image.

This search for good threads happens from 7 to 7:45am Eastern, and the chosen threads are all scheduled to auto post on the homepage and social media.

In order to submit threads to social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pintrest, Ami usually needs to make sure the thread has shareable content, and a decent image, a good descriptive title, she has to add hashtags if she can, she sometimes needs to add watermarks to protect images from being stolen. Then she repeats this process for every thread featured each day.

Why hasn't your thread been Featured?

Usually it's because Ami didn't see it. Maybe you posted it after 8am, and she moved on to other things in her busy day. She may catch it tomorrow, or if it doesn't get many replies, she may not. If this happens to your thread, let Ami know. Start a thread in the new Submissions Forum and give her a link to the Thread you think deserves to be featured.

It's also possible you forgot to include a relevant photo or image at the TOP of the first post in the thread, if you made this mistake you have 24 hours from posting time to fix your mistake, you can add a missing photo or move one you mistakenly added to the middle or bottom of the post, this will make it easier to share! If you let the 24 hour timer expire, only Ami or I can add a photo, you can send us the photo in the Submissions Forum!

What if you find a thread from years ago that's a gem and you think it deserves to be featured, let us know about those threads too! We love re-surfacing excellent old threads and sharing them with everyone! If there is a series of threads, go crazy and give us a list of threads to feature, this is one of those times when more is more!

I've gotten the impression from a few users that there is some kind of bias going on with the way Ami picks Featured Threads, or that maybe I favor certain members who are patrons over other members who are not, or maybe I have a beef with some members on the forum and I've ordered Ami to suppress certain members Threads...

Let me assure everyone that this is not happening. Do we have personal feelings about some members, sure. Do we let those feeling affect the decisions we make on the forum? No. Why not? Because that's simply a poor way to run a business and a community. We understand that we need to run our community in a fair way for everyone.

Ami and I agree that we should and will pick threads to be featured based on the content in the thread, not on the author, so as long as you are providing good quality threads that we can share, we will!

I hope that clears up any questions you may have had!
You might be surprised,but some of us already knew what all ami does here in CWT. I know she's here early in the morning because I usually am too and throughout the rest of the day.