Alfred Packer Civil War Veteran Cannibal?

Yankeedave

Captain
Alfred_Packer_by_Frank_E_Deane_1886.jpg

Photograph of Alfred Packer taken by Frank E. Deane during his second trial in 1886
Alfred Packer, the prospector accused of cannibalism in 1874, was also a Civil War soldier who fought for the Union army.

Packer, who was born in Pennsylvania in 1842, was working as a shoemaker when the Civil War broke out. A year later, on April 22 of 1862, Packer enlisted in Company F of the 16th U.S. Infantry Regiment at Winona, Minnesota.

Packer’s military records state that he was 5 feet 8 ½ inches tall, of light complexion, with blue eyes and light hair.

Packer was so proud of his new role he even had his encampment, battalion numbers and infantry numbers tattooed on his right arm, along with an accidentally misspelled version of his name “Alferd.”
These military records indicate Packer was honorably discharged eight months later due to click his lifelong struggle with epilepsy, which rendered bait him “incapable of performing the duties of a soldier.”

Determined to be a soldier, Packer enlisted again six months later in Ottumwa, Iowa but continued to struggle with his condition, according to the book Outlaw Tales of Colorado:

“Nearly a year later he was discharged again due to his epilepsy. The army surgeon stated that Packer’s epileptic seizures occurred ‘once in 48 hours and sometimes as often as two or three times in 48 hours.’”

After being discharged from the army a second time, Packer drifted from job to job, before heading to Colorado in 1873 to pan for gold. He supplemented his meager income by working as a wilderness guide in Utah and Colorado.

In the fall of 1873, Packer led a group of 21 men headed for the gold fields near Breckenridge, Colorado. After running out supplies and encountering bad weather along the way, the group split up.

Packer led one half of the group, but was the only one of them to arrive at their destination of the Los Pinos Indian Agency in Colorado the following April, claiming that he became separated from the other men.

Suspicions were aroused when survivors from the other half of the group arrived and noticed that Packer had a large amount of money and many personal possessions belonging to the missing men.

Packer finally confessed that he and another man, Shannon Bell, had eaten other men in the group after they died of natural causes due to the extreme weather. He then stated that Bell went insane and tried to kill him, prompting him to shoot Bell in self-defense and eat his corpse.

After authorities discovered the bodies of the missing men in one camp site, not scattered along the trail as Packer had claimed, they arrested Packer and charged him with murder.
Shortly after, Packer escaped the jail and remained at large for nine years until police finally caught up with him in Wyoming in 1883.

During his trial, Packer decided to represent himself, often rambling aimlessly and physically threatening one of the witnesses, Otto Mears.

He changed his story again, this time stating that Bell had killed the other men in the group with a hatchet and was boiling their flesh when Packer stumbled upon him and Bell charged him. Packer stated he shot Bell in self-defense and only later ate the bodies as a last resort when starvation seemed imminent.

Packer was convicted of murder in April of 1883 but when the court realized that Colorado’s only law murder law had been repealed in 1870, confusion set in about what to do with Packer and how to punish him.

According to the book Badasses of the Old West, officials held Packer in Gunnison county jail for three years before the court decided to give him a new trial, this time for the crime of manslaughter, rather than murder.

The second trial went much like the first and Packer was convicted and sentenced to 40 years of hard labor at the Canon City Penitentiary.
http://civilwarsaga.com/alfred-packer-civil-war-soldier/

The University of Colorado has named it's cafeteria
APRG-MAIN-LOGO.jpg
menu items look nice.
ALS-GREENS-SIGN-LOW.jpg

EL-CANIBAL-SIGN-LOW.jpg

GRAB-GO-SIGN-LOW.jpg

etc.
JAMBA-JUICE-SHOP.jpg

Had not heard this story- don't know whether to say ' thanks for posting ' or ' thanks for posting '. :angel: Disturbing!

Poor guy. A horribly suffering man is beneath all the shock-horror. cannot imagine what it would have been like besieged by seizures with no medical solution. Weren't epileptics also somewhat ostracized? Being determined to serve despite the epilepsy says more about Packer's character than what he seems to have devolved into.

This guy's heart was in the war, his body just couldn't take it. Makes me wonder if it wasn't just self defense. I may have gone hog wild (pardon the pun) after something like that too.

Rumor has it that the judge condemned him not only for eating his buddies, but that he ate all of the democrats of the state at that time!
Source: Colorado history class, Southern Colorado State, 1976. Heard by blessmag in class.

Oh my!
I had heard about Packer but some how missed his Civil War service! Thanks you for the info!

After reading about the archaeology dig at the site of his cannibal attack upon his victims, I can say the stories are all true. I think a clue should be the tattoo of his misspelled name. The lights were on, but no one was home. Epilepsy or not he was not normal person. Perhaps he heard voices telling him his companions were better tasting than bacon.

Last edited:
Rumor has it that the judge condemned him not only for eating his buddies, but that he ate all of the democrats of the state at that time!
Source: Colorado history class, Southern Colorado State, 1976. Heard by blessmag in class.
Alferd, ahem, Alfred Packer and his politically motivated palate are literally one of the only things I remember from the year I lived in Colorado as a kid.

But it seems we may have been lied to! (I hope I don't get in trouble for googling this stuff at work. LOL)

https://truewestmagazine.com/eating-his-weight-in-democrats/

Edited to add: I was completely unaware of his Civil War service, his epilepsy, or his misspelled tattoo. Thanks for posting this thread!

A delicious story.

Looking at the man in the image, it's a little hard to believe that he would have had "light hair" at the age of enlistment -- might be a misidentified photo?

I personally didn't write any of the post. After a bit of study I was lucky enough to find a few published sources who kinda fit the general idea, and edited cut and paste, crediting each website. Tried to give enough info for folks to look for them selves and form an opinion.
His story is so bizarre. His service record seems competent. It makes me want to think that at the desperate end him and that man fought.
Donner Pass is nine hundred miles west but on the same latitude, but 700 feet lower. I've camped in Colorado in the winter. With snow, which he got, I can't imagine.

I personally didn't write any of the post. After a bit of study I was lucky enough to find a few published sources who kinda fit the general idea, and edited cut and paste, crediting each website. Tried to give enough info for folks to look for them selves and form an opinion.
His story is so bizarre. His service record seems competent. It makes me want to think that at the desperate end him and that man fought.
Donner Pass is nine hundred miles west but on the same latitude, but 700 feet lower. I've camped in Colorado in the winter. With snow, which he got, I can't imagine.
Based on what I've been reading, I'm not entirely sure he didn't just murder them all before chowing down and then making up excuses. I'm admittedly a bit of a true crime junkie and find his shifting story highly fishy. But I am willing to admit I could be wrong.

I feel bad for the Donner Party people. One of my friends has the world's weirdest kid's book about the Donner Party that she found at the library where she works. :confused: I can only imagine what that author would've done with an Alferd Packer book for kids.

The Donner Party totally stinks. These guys were fed up with Packer early on. How bright are you if after failing to show up, you do show up, alone, spending money out the missing the other guys wallets. And misspells his own name.
I almost feel like somethings off.

Back