Grant Alexander Stephens on General Grant, July 1865

KansasFreestater

1st Lieutenant
I recently read Alexander Stephens's prison diary. Stephens, Vice-President of the Confederacy, was arrested by Union troops on May 12, 1865, and transported to Fort Warren in Boston Harbor, where he was imprisoned from May 25 to October 13. With so much time on his hands, Stephens spent a lot of time reading -- the Bible, various Greek and Latin classics, other historical and religious books, and contemporary newspapers and magazines -- and keeping a journal, in which he wrote out his thoughts on those readings and on his daily life in prison, as well as his reflections on people and events from before, during and after the war.

Despite Stephens's erroneous views on race, as well as other blind spots, I find him a fascinating character. If we are judged by how well we live up to our own lights, he was a better person than I am. Among other things, he was, as his erstwhile friend Lincoln was, a pretty good judge of character.

You may recall that Stephens had met with Ulysses Grant earlier in the year, just weeks before war's end, in the attempt to set up a peace conference with Lincoln. (I shared Stephens's reflections from that meeting here.) I was intrigued to come across some further reflections on Grant by Stephens from his prison cell. From his entry for July 31:

The evening paper gives an account of General Grant's reception at Faneuil Hall. Sunday's Herald and this morning's Post describe his arrival in Boston on Saturday. General Grant is a remarkable man and, if he lives and continues in good health, will figure largely in the future history of this country. I consider him one of the most remarkable men I ever saw. He is modest, unassuming, and possesses a wonderful degree of common sense, a thing uncommon in his day amongst men of position and station. I was never more surprised in any person than in General Grant when I saw him at City Point last February. Very soon after being in his company, I was deeply impressed with his genius and character. What is to be his future, time will determine. But the measure of his deeds and fame, whether for good or evil, is very far from being felt yet. The impression he made on me was favourable in every respect. In manners he is simple, natural, and unaffected; in intercourse, frank and explicit; in thought, perception, and action, quick; in purpose, fixed, decided, and resolute. His ambition, if such may be termed his aspirations, is high, honourable, and noble. Such is the opinion I formed of General Grant in my first acquaintance with him. Such is my present opinion.

Had Mr. Lincoln lived, under his administration with General Grant's counsels, the condition of the Southern States at this time, I think, would have been far different from what it is and will be. I look with more interest to Grant's future than to that of any man living. Every man is more or less the creature of circumstances. He is no exception to this rule. How far he may hereafter be controlled by circumstances which he cannot control, is a problem in the solution of which the destinies of this country are deeply involved. He is the Great Man of the Continent; great, not in learning, acquirements, or accomplishments, but in conception, thought, and action; one of those master spirits which seldom fail, if life and vigour of faculties continue to impress themselves upon the age in which they live and to mark grand epochs in their country's history.
[emphasis mine]​

Last edited:
Back