ENDED Alamo Battlefield Relics

Trader history (0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldSarge79

Sergeant
I won this lot several weeks ago at auction, and am keeping just one rifle ball out of the original group, selling the remainder.
These items are documented from a 2008 archaeological dig beneath The History Shop, located across the street from what was the north wall of the ALAMO. Items for sale here are:

1 rifle ball, about .509 caliber. (This seems almost certainly to have been fired by a "Texian.")

2 musket balls, both around .64 caliber. (These could be either Mexican or Texian. The bulk of the Mexican troops are believed to have carried .75 caliber Brown Bess muskets, although there may have been other types. The Texian defenders had a wide variety of muskets and rifles.)

2 shoe buckles

6 various buttons
, apparently non-military (one has what appears to be a Fleur De Lis)

1 piece of broken pottery

12 various rusted metal items
(The most interesting is either a ramrod or a long nail. Either is possible, considering what we know of events. There are two hook-type items, one resembling what looks like an attachment at the end of a tow chain.

Included are the original Certificate Of Authenticity, a photo of the dig and booklet containing documentation of the dig and locations of the items found in this group, as well as historical information and paperwork concerning historical marker applications.

The lot came in a cardboard shadow box with glass face, the type frequently used for military memorabilia, etc, with an interesting collage of imitation leather in different earth tones for background of the display. This box and display background is included if desired. Unfortunately, one of the corners of the box is torn (see photo). Note that shipping would be less without the box itself.

For discussion of these items, see this thread: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/alamo-relics-need-help-with-identifying.180891/

Price - $875 + actual shipping

(While I would prefer to sell this as one group, I would consider breaking it up into smaller groups, but there is only one set of original documents)

DSC04611.JPG

DSC04606.JPG

DSC04607.JPG

DSC04598.JPG

DSC04621.JPG

DSC04613.JPG

DSC04618.JPG

DSC04609.JPG

Last edited:
Very nice collection. Best of luck. If you don’t get any bites on this website maybe try another website.

Or maybe by chance Phil Collins, he is a big Alamo buff. 😉 (small joke)

Respectfully,
Kyle Kalasnik
I'm sure ol' Phil already has his study well stocked with similar items, since he was heavily involved in the excavation. Unusual interest for a Brit. :smile coffee:
I'm working the SCV table at a gun show this Saturday and may put it out there. Should draw some interest to say the least. My problem is that I am hesitant to sell it and might talk myself out of it yet. We humans are such fickled things!

Yeah kind of a different for someone of his nationality to have such an interest in the Alamo. I wonder if it possibly tied to Davy Crockett, as it was very popular in the mid to late 50s, when Phil was a little boy? But was it as big hit across the pond as it was here in the states?

Anyways, nice collection you have there. Good luck selling it this weekend, or if you decide to keep it thats cool too. Just go with what your gut feeling and you’ll make the right decision.

Respectfully,
Kyle Kalasnik

I'm going to break up the group to make three more affordable options.

Group 1: Rifle ball (probably Texan)
3 items of choice from the buttons/buckles/pottery, and 4 items of choice from the rusted metal artifacts: $325

Group 2: Brown musket ball, about .65 cal (could be Mexican or Texan)
same as above for each type of the other artifacts. $225

Group 3: Gray musket ball, about .64 cal (could be Mexican or Texan),
same choices as above: $225

Needless to say, first come first serve.
Copies of documentation with each. Photos below.
Contact me if any questions.

DSC04621.JPG

DSC04627.JPG

DSC04626.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back