Monuments Alabama Senate passes bill to restrict removal of Confederate, historic monuments

CMWinkler

Colonel
Retired Moderator
Alabama Senate passes bill to restrict removal of Confederate, historic monuments
  • Associated Press
  • 20 hrs ago

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — The Alabama Senate has passed a bill that would restrict cities and counties from removing historical monuments, including Confederate ones, from public property.

Al.com reports that the Alabama Heritage Preservation Act passed despite several Democratic senators calling it an intrusion on local government authority.

More: http://www.enewscourier.com/news/lo...cle_bd4b224e-e190-11e5-8320-37f1e1f2afd7.html

CW, thank you for posting and sharing this. It is good to see they are taking action.

Civil War Flags.jpg

Respectfully,
William

I have two ancestors who fought in the American Revolution, buried in New Hampshire. I pray the state of New Hampshire always oppose destruction of monuments in their name.

Confederate monuments have caught the attention of the "Crybully" movement. "Prowling and a growling and a sniffing the air" like Smokey the Bear, for microaggression, safespace etc.

Before parenting was outlawed, this train of thought would have been eliminated before the age of six.

stay the course Alabama.

They don't, and never did, have control over state law. They can, however, influence state law in the representatives that they elect.

I am curious, what would be your stance if the state were the one mandating the monuments removal over the objections of the local govt.?

No, it isn't. It's an entity of the people, just as the states are. This is elementary conlaw.

Interesting. What was the vote in the plebiscite that sent delegates to the convention? Or in the plebiscite that ratified it? The people were very generous in giving the state's their own representatives in the Senate. I suppose I need to reread the Constitution in light of this information.

It's the State's right, but I'd rather see control over statues, etc. , be left in the hands of the people who live in the localities affected (unless the object is owned by the State, who should then have control, or the Feds, who should then have control). Just seems to me if Such-and-Such Alabama put up a statue of Confederate General Sam Whoever in 1910 and they now want to remove it, they should be able to (same if the statue is of Union General Sam Whatever or of Miley Cyrus).

Me too, while they were are patriots to this country they were traitors to England.

And frankly I would be puzzled if England erected statues to them in some English town.

:O o:
I believe there are statues of Lincoln and Washington in London England but can't confirm at the moment.
There is a very flattering (from the American POV) painting of the Battle of Lexington on display at the Royal Army Museum.

Why?

Do you oppose the removal of any and all monuments, no matter who or what they celebrate?
I don't have a catalogue all the monuments in the world at my disposal, and if I did , I could not find the time to peruse it.

On the campus of Princeton, Kaiser Wilhelm II is more politically correct than Woodrow Wilson.

Glad to know that the uppity residents of these towns won't have control over their own communities.
Yeah...me too! Don't you just hate the active minority of the population having more say than they deserve!! If the majority want something done and it isn't getting done then they can vote to remove the elected officials.

Back