Age of cavalry soldiers in the Civil War

I think Edmond and jules father was a first lieutenant in a Louisiana regiment
Looks like the father of Jules Joseph and Edmond Francis D'Aquin was Louis Thomas D'Aquin. He was born 10 June 1818 in Kingston, Jamaica. So he would have been 43 years old in 1861. Certainly possible that he served. He died 21 May 1897 in New Orleans.
1562984671596.png

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/113967758/louis-thomas-d_aquin

I see a Louis E D'Aquin who was a Lieut in Capt Greene's Co Louisiana Guard Battery Artillery, but he was killed Dec 13 1862 at Fredericksburg.
1562984931077.png
1562984898251.png

Im not seeing a Louis T or L T D'Aquin. Unfortunately, its possible that the D'Aquin was mistaken for an initial and he might be listed as L D Aquin or L T D Aquine or any number of other combinations.

Looks like the father of Jules Joseph and Edmond Francis D'Aquin was Louis Thomas D'Aquin. He was born 10 June 1818 in Kingston, Jamaica. So he would have been 43 years old in 1861. Certainly possible that he served. He died 21 May 1897 in New Orleans.
View attachment 315988
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/113967758/louis-thomas-d_aquin

I see a Louis E D'Aquin who was a Lieut in Capt Greene's Co Louisiana Guard Battery Artillery, but he was killed Dec 13 1862 at Fredericksburg.
View attachment 315992View attachment 315991
Im not seeing a Louis T or L T D'Aquin. Unfortunately, its possible that the D'Aquin was mistaken for an initial and he might be listed as L D Aquin or L T D Aquine or any number of other combinations.
good work you are right about the name I wasnt sure if it was the same guy and you put that together quick I'm still slow on finding and attaching pictures

It's one of those threads beginning with a request for information and turned into a story by members. It's a great story, thanks to everyone who helped tell it.

There has to be a thread here on soldiers who served at an astonishing age? @Rebforever , with a 12 year old soldier in your ancestry if there is one, you'd probably remember it? Gee whiz. 12. His service sounds to me like a book waiting to be written. Just sayin'.

It's one of those threads beginning with a request for information and turned into a story by members. It's a great story, thanks to everyone who helped tell it.

There has to be a thread here on soldiers who served at an astonishing age? @Rebforever , with a 12 year old soldier in your ancestry if there is one, you'd probably remember it? Gee whiz. 12. His service sounds to me like a book waiting to be written. Just sayin'.
He fought in all the battles from The Shenandoah Valley to Cold harbor where he was seriously wounded. Spent some time in the Chimborazo Hospital in Richmond, Va. and the next info I have he moved to Indiana with some kinfolk to recuperate from his wounds.
Moved back home to Hermitage after the war and got Married. He could neither read nor write. Signed his Marriage certificate with an "X".
He was 19 years of age when he married an older women of 21. Somewhere along the line he learned to read and write.He may have gone to the little local school at Hermitage which over the years was sold to a friend of mine and made into a home.
He settled down on his Fathers place in the Village of Hermitage, Virginia to raise his family. He was a Charter Member of the Hermitage Presbyterian Church where I was raised.

Last edited:
That's genuinely a book and a terrific look at who fought the war. It's certainly a good thing for history's sake we know so much about various generals, dignitaries and those men and women whose stories make them famous to this day. It's the individual stories of remarkable people I'd rather read. If his bio isn't remarkable you can't imagine whose is.

My cavalry ancestor enlisted immediately after his 21st birthday in August of 1862. When I realized the enlistment and birth dates, I speculated that he might have had some parental opposition. Or, maybe it was just the coincidence that Colonel Merrill's cavalry was in a nearby town--easy for him to get there. I doubt I will ever know the answer, unless someone unearths a letter or journal that he wrote to explain his actions.

Hi everyone! So sorry I disappeared for a while, busy few weeks at work. Once again, thank you so much for everyone helping me find out about this! I am humbled that so many strangers online have volunteered their help. While I'm starting to believe there may be another branch of D'Aquin in Louisiana, I'm beginning to think there may be some leads on my mother's side I can follow for civil war relatives. But if anything, I am amazed to find out just how young a Civil War soldier could be. God bless all of you.

Back