Golden Thread Afternoon Tea - where did it come from?

We are going to England in a couple of months. My wife has already gotten us reservations for property in one of the fancy hotels I've never done this before looking forward to it. Besides it's time to buy a new suit.
How exciting! I'm so happy for you and can't wait to hear about your trip.

I finally found a teapot! Via an antique collector on Etsy...

View attachment 103416 View attachment 103417

Photos by South Florida Collectors

The seller says the back stamp indicates it's from the 1930s to mid-40s. My hope is that it is indeed true, as I was looking for a vintage piece. However, even if the dating is off, I love the look AND it's English. Either way, I'm good with it.

Now let's hope it ships to me in one piece! :sluggish:

What a beautiful teapot! It's lovely and it does seem to look vintage to me. The style and the floral pattern are sure to be pre- 1950's. It should come in one piece. I've ordered tea things from sellers on Etsy and never had anything arrive broken. People pack that stuff really good, don't worry! :thumbsup:

Thank you will do don't laugh I looking forward to trying a cucumber finger sandwich.

Cucumber finger sandwiches are quite yummy, I promise! Grant you they aren't really filling but the tea tray comes with so many little treats that you'll be full by the time you leave! Have fun! :smile:

What a beautiful teapot! It's lovely and it does seem to look vintage to me. The style and the floral pattern are sure to be pre- 1950's. It should come in one piece. I've ordered tea things from sellers on Etsy and never had anything arrive broken. People pack that stuff really good, don't worry! :thumbsup:

Cucumber finger sandwiches are quite yummy, I promise! Grant you they aren't really filling but the tea tray comes with so many little treats that you'll be full by the time you leave! Have fun! :smile:
Thank you for the kind words and when we get back I'll give you a breakdown of the food in the meantime cheerio.

Thought of you guys and this thread at tea the other day. :smile: Here is my Great Grandma's tea cup. I've been trying to date it. Based on the backstamp, I think it's 1939 - early 40s, but I'm not certain. It's Colclough #6621.

View attachment 128474
Do you know what country produced it.
You might try going to replacements.com and this site may help you track it's age.

Do you know the pattern name,i've seen a couple but they are not exact.the pattern does appear to be c1940.
I don't. I only know the number (#6621), and it seems when I search on Google, everyone else only has a number as well.

(When I first typed the above sentence, I accidentally typed "Googly", which really cracked me up! It's too early for me to be slaphappy.)

Now that I'm "me" again :laugh: , I can enjoy the delicate and the pretty. I agree with you ~ if we wait for holidays to enjoy our favorite pieces (from tea cups to dresses), we'll spend most of our lives missing out.
Just saw this thread and am really enjoying it. MrsP is a professional tea drinker, many teapots and cozys old and new in the cabinets.

You are absolutely right about saving nice things only for holidays and the older you get you realize you were indeed missing out. They were meant to be used.

Back in the day every bride picked out a silver pattern, at least they did in the South. Nobody used it much except on special occasions but they sure had to have it. Now all the brides want pewter and stainless because there isn't time or inclination to polish the silver but we use ours often. We keep a sugar bowl full of silver teaspoons on the counter for coffee, tea and desserts. They are a mix from 5 or 6 patterns; ours, parents, grandparents, one gg-Aunt, and it always makes a connection with them when I use one. Simple pleasures.

You are absolutely right about saving nice things only for holidays and the older you get you realize you were indeed missing out. They were meant to be used.
As someone who makes things, I always tell loved ones when I give them a handmade gift, "You are to use this. Don't hide it somewhere for fear you will get something on it or snag it or whatever. Use it. Stain it. Snag it. That's why I made it for you!" (I hand quilted a gorgeous quilt for some family members and later discovered it just sits folded in a bedroom closet. Ugh.)

So I do indeed bring out our family tea cups and my gram's cross stitched table cloth. And the linen napkins my Dad is always hesitant to use. We have tea frequently.

We snuggle all the time with Gram's Granny Square blanket. The very first quilt I made, both the top and the entire quilt were hand stitched, has rips and tears from years of use by little ones and two dogs. :happy:

I find more and more that I'm donating the stuff that we just sort of collected but don't really have meaning for us, just so I can make room for the things that do.

I don't. I only know the number (#6621), and it seems when I search on Google, everyone else only has a number as well.

(When I first typed the above sentence, I accidentally typed "Googly", which really cracked me up! It's too early for me to be slaphappy.)
I am stil

@LoriAnn ,6621 is the pattern #,the best description available is that it is a Floral Pattern with Scrolls Gold Scalloped Trim.what I have found out is that it is a rare pattern today.ReplacementsLtd. which is the largest dealer of China patterns in the world has 2,249 pieces of Colclough China in their inventory but of your pattern they have just 1 piece which just so happens to be a tea cup.
On Ebay there are 7 pieces of this pattern and the best deal for a cup and saucer with shipping is $36.00.
I hope you have a complete set to treasure as your grandmother had very good taste.

Back