After 11 years and $1.5 million, there is no hope for Water Witch at Naval Museum

Something is not right. She says that interior wood was use inside which to me is the interior.
“It kind of shared the experience more or less," Wait said. "It also was the right size to fit in that space that we had out there.”
The problem, found out after the replica’s construction, is that interior wood was used instead of treated wood.
I would love to see the specs on the plans and contract:cold:

“It kind of shared the experience more or less," Wait said. "It also was the right size to fit in that space that we had out there.”
The problem, found out after the replica’s construction, is that interior wood was used instead of treated wood.
I would love to see the specs on the plans and contract:cold:

Interior wood is a strange term. Interior wood is like ordinary #2 pine studs and beams than normal people paint to protect. If it was built to code, then I imagine code allows for ordinary wood. The base is concrete so there is no water contact at the base.

I have never seen the thing in reality, only photos and videos. to be perfectly honest I didn't think it was either convincing or realistic. I was surprised when the initial announcement was made about it's construction, quite thinking they would opt for an ironclad. To me at this distance it seems either a serious contractual error was made in that no provision was made for ongoing maintenance, regardless of what timber was used it all needs continual work to keep it free from weathering and decay. look at the work and expense required to keep Victory or Trincomalee in good order and safe for visitors. As to whether the whole thing was a "boondoggle" that can only be determined by examination of the contract and contractors by the legal eagles (more money for lawyers). Overall my view - get ris of it. Without denigrating the

I have never seen the thing in reality, only photos and videos. to be perfectly honest I didn't think it was either convincing or realistic. I was surprised when the initial announcement was made about it's construction, quite thinking they would opt for an ironclad. To me at this distance it seems either a serious contractual error was made in that no provision was made for ongoing maintenance, regardless of what timber was used it all needs continual work to keep it free from weathering and decay. look at the work and expense required to keep Victory or Trincomalee in good order and safe for visitors. As to whether the whole thing was a "boondoggle" that can only be determined by examination of the contract and contractors by the legal eagles (more money for lawyers). Overall my view - get ris of it. Without denigrating the
Sorry, hit the post key ……………… Managers and Staff of the Museum, may I respectfully suggest that someone comes to the UK to see what can be achieved. Seeing Cutty Sark or Great Britain in their docks and talking to the respective organisations may help them in their views of the dock project.

I'm always sorry to see so much work and money become an object of contention- but sounds like the time was long past for it to go. It doesn't seem realistic to have kept it just because donation sources would have been upset. Hard enough stretching budgets keeping genuine artifacts preserved. Sometimes good ideas have had their time- a Confederate dock would be amazing.

HMS Victory. Saw her around 35 years ago, one of the best trips we ever took. There are no words. Anyone goes there you'll see.

Part of the problem might be, that, unlike a traditional wooden house, which has overlapping strakes of sheathing, all the exterior wood planking on a real ship is flush. But a real ship's hull planking (and decking) had a waterproof caulking of tar and oakum, that had to be perpetually repaired, often daily. What protection did the replica have at the seams of all those flush planks, and was it regularly renewed? A house built with flush exterior wood sides would soon rot as well.

Part of the problem might be, that, unlike a traditional wooden house, which has overlapping strakes of sheathing, all the exterior wood planking on a real ship is flush. But a real ship's hull planking (and decking) had a waterproof caulking of tar and oakum, that had to be perpetually repaired, often daily. What protection did the replica have at the seams of all those flush planks, and was it regularly renewed? A house built with flush exterior wood sides would soon rot as well.
I think that's ALL of the problem in a nutshell, any ship /boat be it wood or iron / steel needs a minimal maintenance crew 100% of the time just to keep it in being if it's exposed to the elements.

I guess the witch is dead...…..
You forgot to preface that with a "Ding Dong".

:D

In all seriousness though, that naval museum is one of the best of it's type in the Deep South.

The replica Waterwitch was a mistake from the start, IMHO.

It's my understanding the museum has quite a bit of the recovered iron plate from the CSS Jackson in an off site warehouse.
Considering the fact that the CSS Jackson's wooden frame is one of the museum's primary exhibits, I wish they would at least attempt to create a USS Cairo style renovation of the original ironclad.

Saw the replica Water Witch last week. She could use some TLC.
20190410_171414.jpg

It should be removed and destroyed as compared to leaving it to rot in the sun. This replica serves no purpose that I am able to see.
Regards
David

It was closed in June 2018 when I visited the National Civil War Naval Museum.

It was closed in June 2018 when I visited the National Civil War Naval Museum.
I'm just wondering why it hasn't been REMOVED as its an eyesore and does NOT due any justice to all of the great items that are in the park.

Back