African Americans in the Civil War

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

atuttle32

Corporal
http://military.discovery.com/history/civil-war/african-americans-civil-war-pictures.html

A few really good photos pulled from the life.com website and shared on discovery. Photos five and six show slave children ... number six holds special meaning to me because of the background - a ruined Charleston in which freed slave children sit.

I want to see if I could find out more about Lieutenant John Shaw, seen in the picture I've copied and pasted below - he is with escaped slave children in photo five. I plan to look on footnote and ancestry ... any other suggestions for narrowing down the search? Is that a "2" in front of Lieut for Second?

Expired Image Removed

atuttle32

Corporal
Here is more information I gathered regarding this photo. Second Lieutenant Shaw is actually standing in the middle; he died at The Wilderness.

from: http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/aaohtml/exhibit/aopart4.html
Black slaves who fled to Union lines, or "contrabands," often proved themselves extremely useful, even before the government enlisted them into service. A group of "contrabands" appear on this calling card. Calling cards, or cartes de visite, with photographs were popular during this era partly because photography was relatively new and the cards provided a means of sharing likenesses with friends and relatives. This one includes images of white officers of the 2nd Rhode Island Camp at Camp Brightwood in the District of Columbia. On the left is Capt. B. S. Brown. In the center is Lt. John P. Shaw, killed in action at the Wilderness, Virginia, May 5, 1864, and on the right is Lt. T. Fry. The "contrabands" with them are not named.

And a better copy of the photo:

0409001r.jpg

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!