First Bull Run Advancing on Bull Run

Peace Society

Sergeant
ADVENT REVIEW, AND SABBATH HERALD

VOL. XVIII. BATTLE CREEK, MICH., THIRD—DAY, JULY 23, 1861. No. 8.

The War.​

DISPATCHES from Washington are constantly bringing the intelligence of movements of portions of the grand union army over the Potomac, on the line of which it has so long been concentrating. This movement, so well organized, and carried on with such eminent skill, must compel a disastrous retreat on the part of the rebels, or a general engagement. The forces on the Potomac, in the vicinity of Washington, have moved southward almost as far as Fairfax Court House, the advance guard being within three miles of that place. It is understood that in the corps d'armee under Gen. McDowell is to consist of 40,000 men, divided into four divisions of 10,000 men each: the first under Gen. Tyler, the second under Col. Heitzelman, and the third under Col. Hunter— the fourth to remain as a reserve corps. Each division will comprise the brigades of four regiments of infantry, and the remainder of the 10,000 will be composed of cavalry and artillery. Gen. Patterson's division is now encamped at Martinsburg. His force is about 26,000 men, and they are within seven miles of the rebels, who are stationed at Bunker Hill. General McClellan occupies Grafton, but is shortly expected to make an advance movement.

No wonder both sides liked to get newspapers from the other. Nothing like having things spelled out for you. : )

Problem is the reporters back then were about as incompetent as the modern versions are today.
The times were chaotic and I'm sure that the reporters did the best they could. It probably was more of an issue of understandable misinformation & confusion than of incompetence.

In what way?
Biased? Not checking facts? Late? Inventing news? : )
Biased would probably be the closest. The major media back then, and to be honest, through most of our past, was the newspapers. In most cities there would have been several and were often owned out right by one of the political parties. If you were a Whig you had your paper, Democrats and Republicans had their own papers. Really hasn't changed much looking at cable news now.

Bias is expected. The whole point of starting a newspaper is so your voice can be heard. Some may start in hopes of obtaining an income, but it is highly unlikely that anyone actually plans on it as a public service.

According to the most recent Smithsonian (May 2021) the Associated Press, founded in May 1846 by 5 NY papers to cover the Mexican war, actually strove for "neutral objectivity". During the CW the AP telegraphed battle news within a day.

I was just reading in This Terrible Sound that Bragg got a Chicago paper that finally spelled out for him exactly what Rosecrans was doing (crossing the TN to the south), something he had been largely ignorant of til that time.

Some reporters were banned from camp during the war but other than that I dont think so.
It was a constant concern for both sides during the war and, I would need to find them, but there's been a fair amount written about the press during the war. When Brady showed his pictures publicly, some folks were opposed to it because it could damage morale and others believed seeing the photos of battlefield dead would inspire a deeper commitment. Similar concerns were expressed by England during the Crimean War, that reporters unwittingly, perhaps, aided the enemy. I love reading the old newspapers, but then I'm not worried about revealing something to the enemy.

Back