MI Adrian, Michigan Civil War cemetery tour.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Awhile back I was in Adrian, Michigan got this little booklet and found it interesting. The Nash-Hodges Camp of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War gave a Oakwood Cemetery Civil War Tour. The booklet covers 32 graves of the Civil War veterans in the cemetery. I not sure the SUVCW gave a talk at each grave site during the tour. The SUVCW published extra booklets which are sold (perhaps the booklet was free, I just don't remember) at the local history museum. The 15 images and cemetery map are nice to have.

I have helped to give few cemetery tours for the genealogy society my wife was in, but we did not publish a little booklet like this. One of the grave I had to give a 15 minute presentation at was the grave of an escaped slave who join the US Navy. He had a civilian marker but no indication he was a Civil War veteran. I assume he does not get a flag on his grave for Veteran's Day.

. I assume he does not get a flag on his grave for Veteran's Day.
Why would you assume that? I put grave marker flags at Civil War veteran gravesites that have civilian gravestones.

The cemetery is a rather small small cemetery in a rural area. Without a flag holder or a notation on his stone. I am not sure anyone knows he was a Union sailor. My father and uncle are WWII veterans in a larger village cemetery in the same area. Neither has a flag holder or much to show they served overseas in WWII. I did not find time to drive there this year and doubt either one got a flag this Veteran's Day. So I simply assume a smaller cemetery in a rural area in the same general area as my father, had a flag put on a grave that has no indication that a Civil War veteran is laying there. I have doubts people even know he is a Civil War veteran. One can hope someone cared enough to insure every veteran in this smaller rural cemetery, still I harbor some doubts.

The cemetery is a rather small small cemetery in a rural area. Without a flag holder or a notation on his stone. I am not sure anyone knows he was a Union sailor. My father and uncle are WWII veterans in a larger village cemetery in the same area. Neither has a flag holder or much to show they served overseas in WWII. I did not find time to drive there this year and doubt either one got a flag this Veteran's Day. So I simply assume a smaller cemetery in a rural area in the same general area as my father, had a flag put on a grave that has no indication that a Civil War veteran is laying there. I have doubts people even know he is a Civil War veteran. One can hope someone cared enough to insure every veteran in this smaller rural cemetery, still I harbor some doubts.
That makes sense. I didn't know where the cemetery you posted about was or how big it is. Occasionally, at some of the rural cemeteries I visit, some veterans' gravesites are marked with flags and some are not. As you said, I also suspect that's because nobody who puts the flags out at the cemetery knows who all the veterans are. It's up to people like you and me to see that they get proper recognition.

Back