Act of Kindness - 9th New York & 2nd Georgia at Antietam

Yes, that's the gesture I wanted to show also.
For some reason I cannot insert any snipped or copied pics anymore under IE or Firefox!
I am having the same problem in Chrome -- but it's random ... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Let Mike know about it ... it might have something to do with the tech problems last week.

Thanks to @lelliott19 for the pointer to Private Ard's story!

One of the surgeons who treated him was Truman Squire, 89th New York. Squire was in charge of the Locust Spring field hospital near the battlefield after Antietam and kept a list of his patients there with broken femurs (thigh bones). It's pretty cool to see "Ard G.W." on that list.

femurs.jpg

(from the Chemung County (NY) Historical Society: http://chemungcountyhistoricalsociety.blogspot.com/2017/07/dr-truman-h-squire-civil-war-surgeon.html)

One of the surgeons who treated him was Truman Squire, 89th New York. Squire was in charge of the Locust Spring field hospital near the battlefield after Antietam and kept a list of his patients there with broken femurs (thigh bones). It's pretty cool to see "Ard G.W." on that list.(from the Chemung County (NY) Historical Society: http://chemungcountyhistoricalsociety.blogspot.com/2017/07/dr-truman-h-squire-civil-war-surgeon.html)
Whoa! Thanks Brian. Ive never seen a roster of specific injuries at one hospital before. This one is of gun shot fractures femur at the Battle of Antietam and it's fascinating!!!

If anyone ever wondered if wounded CS prisoners received good treatment at Union hospitals, this should help clear it up. At least in this one hospital, looks like wounded CS prisoners were twice as likely to be operated on and twice as likely to recover than Union soldiers being treated at the same hospital, during the same time period.

I see five wounded CS POWs on the roster for Locust Spring field hospital.
Robert Hutchinson, Pvt. Company B, 7th South Carolina. Wounded: September 17, 1862. Treatment: Amputation. Result: recovered. Remarks: secondary amputation.
George W. Ard, Pvt. Company K, 2nd Georgia. Wounded: September 17, 1862. Treatment: Amputation. Result: recovered. Remarks: complication of elbow.
P. K. Williams, Corporal Company E, 2nd Georgia. Wounded: September 17, 1862. Treatment: simple [simple dressings; no amputation] Result: recovered. Remarks: slight deformity.
J. F. Gartot, Pvt. Company A, 8th Louisiana. Wounded: September 17, 1862. Treatment: simple [simple dressings; no amputation] Result: died. Remarks: November 26 - bone united.
Edmund Davis, Pvt. Company I, 35th Mississippi. Wounded: September 17, 1862. Treatment: simple [simple dressings; no amputation] Result: recovered. Remarks: evusion toe - ball cut out. [evusion may refer to an avulsion injury in which a limb is torn off?]

So of the five wounded CS POWs:
80% 4 were operated on (3 by Amputation surgery and 1 to remove a ball.)
20% 1 died (he was not one of the ones who was operated on.)
80% recovered (4; at least temporarily.)
100% of those who were operated on recovered

Of the 17 wounded Union soldiers:
35% were operated on (6 of 17; 5 Amputation surgery & 1 had an excision surgery.)
65% died. (11 of 17; 6 simple/no amputation; 4 amputation; 1 excision)
35% recovered (6 of 17; at least temporarily.)
16% of those operated on recovered.

Last edited:
P. K. Williams, Corporal Company E, 2nd Georgia. Wounded: September 17, 1862. Treatment: simple [simple dressings; no amputation] Result: recovered. Remarks: slight deformity.
Looks like P. K. Williams may have "recovered" temporarily - at least long enough to be transferred to the US hospital complex at Frederick, MD. Carded records indicate he was admitted at USA General Hospital, Camp B, Frederick Md on January 5, 1863; transferred to No 1, USA General Hospital, Frederick Md on March 12, 1863; where he died on April 21, 1863. He was buried at Mt Olivet in Hospital cemetery, Frederick Md.
1561087324264.png

Looks like he received a marker fairly recently. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/17104821/p-k-williams
1561087390355.png

View attachment 170812
Artwork by Keith Rocco - Always Ready—The 9th New York Hawkin's Zouaves at Antietam http://www.militaryartcompany.com/keith_rocco_military_print_directory.htm

Marked kindness shown by members of the 9th New York Infantry (Hawkins' Zouaves) to a wounded member of the 2nd Georgia Infantry, near Burnside's Bridge, Battle of Antietam.

"Where did you lose your leg, Mr. Ard*?" I inquired.
"I lost it," said the old soldier," at Antietam Creek, or rather Sharpsburg, on the 17th of September 1862. If you will listen, an old Confederate soldier will talk." I listened and thus ran his story.

I belonged to the Second Georgia, Toombs' brigade. I was on the extreme right of a few of us who were attempting to prevent Burnside from crossing the lower stone bridge. The fight was on; a ball passed through my thigh, and, while lying on the ground wounded, another ball passed through my right elbow joint. Our forces retreated and the Federals rushed across the creek. Wounded, bleeding, suffering as I was, it was a rare sight to see thousands of well-fed, well-clad soldiers occupying the ground just abandoned by the few ragged, hungry Confederates. The contrast struck me. A regiment of Federals halted near where I was lying. The officer made his men a short speech, which was cheered. Amidst this, I beckoned to an officer near me and requested that he would drag me on the other side of a tree hard by. He at once stepped back to the line and brought four men, who gently picked me up and placed me behind the tree, hastily spreading a blanket for me to lie upon. I requested to know whom to thank for the kindness. The reply was, 'We belong to the Ninth New York Regiment, Hawkins' Zouaves.' These four men hurried back to their places, and the command came from head of column, 'forward, march,' and Burnside's corps passed by.

Very soon an army surgeon came near me. I called to him. Fortunately, I was a Mason, for he was one. He said his name was Humphries**, surgeon of the Ninth New York Regiment. Dr. Squires,*** his assistant, was with him. I asked the surgeon if he could give me any temporary aid, remarking that he had as many of his own across the creek as he could attend to. His reply was that he was under as many obligations to me as to any man. He said he had been a surgeon in the Crimean War. He examined my wounds. He administered chloroform, and when I became conscious my leg was off and my arm bandaged.

In that fix I lay behind the tree. The shot and shell from the Confederate batteries were felling treetops and tearing up the ground all around me. Just before night, the firing ceased and the assistant surgeon, Dr. Squires, returned to me and stitched up the flaps of the amputated limb. There I spent the long night. My sufferings, mental and physical, were agonizing. The weather was hot. Loss of blood created thirst. Nearby, I could hear the rippling Antietam mocking me as I called aloud for water which came not.

As a last resort for water I used the grand hailing signal of distress. Some Yankee soldier heard my cry and filled my canteen with water from the creek.

The next morning about sunrise, an ambulance came for me, sent by Dr. Humphries, and took me some two miles to a farmhouse, where Dr. Humphries most tenderly cared for me. He brought a young man who he called Mac and said, 'Mac, I commit this young Georgian, and others to you.'

I found this 'Mac' to be Paul J McLocklin**** of the Ninth New York Regiment.

In some two weeks, we were removed to a field hospital. My friend Mac continued to wait on me as long as I remained, until the 24th of January, 1863. A nobler man than Paul J McLocklin never lived. While in the hospital, I became acquainted with several members of the Ninth Regiment, and was under the charge of Dr. Humphries until he left for the front, and Dr. Squires was put in charge. In time, I was moved to Frederick City, and I missed the men of the Zouaves.

On the 16th day of May, 1863, I was taken from Frederick City to Baltimore, thence to Fort Norfolk, thence to Fortress Monroe. Here I was transferred to a large steamer, the "Willow Leaf," and the guards on board were Ninth New York men. I was rejoiced. One-legged and maimed I was troubled to know when I reached City Point how I should climb the hill to reach the train that bore the exchanges to "Dixie," but the Ninth New York Zouaves saw me through on board the train.

After the war, Mac and I kept up a correspondence for many years. His letters ceased to come. I wrote again "to be returned to Lumpkin Georgia, if not called for in ten days." The post master at West Winsled, Conn. wrote back, "Your friend Mac died a few months ago." In the meantime, we had exchanged photographs and for years his picture has been hanging upon the wall in my bedroom. If I had money, I would go to Athens, for I want to see the men of the Ninth New York Regiment as I would my own Confederates.*****

Athens Weekly Banner, Jul. 26, 1892, page 6.

*Private George W. Ard, Co K 2nd Georgia Infantry'; age 28, enlisted July 7, 1861 at Lumpkin Georgia; wounded September 17, 1862 at Antietam; Sent for exchange May 17, 1863. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/24888722/george-washington_lafayette-ard
** Surgeon George H. Humphreys, 9th New York (Hawkins' Zouaves); age 26, enlisted May 4, 1861 at New York City. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/83400116/george-hoppin-humphreys
*** Surgeon Truman H. Squire, 89th New York Infantry, age 38, enlisted Nov 29, 1861 at Elmira, NY. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/68972441/truman-h.-squire
**** Private Paul J McLocklin, 9th New York (Hawkins' Zouaves) age 18, enlisted Aug 20, 1861; wounded in action Sept 17, 1862 at Antietam; discharged for disability Feb 17, 1863 at Convalescent Camp, Va. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/55753690/paul-j-mclocklin
***** The survivors of the 3rd Georgia Infantry invited the survivors of the 9th New York (Hawkins' Zouaves,) whom they had faced in battle many times, to their 1892 reunion in Athens GA - about which I'll post later in a separate "Act of Kindness" thread.

You can search "Act of Kindness" to read similar stories.
Amazing story. It is great to read these at this time of the year. Thank you again for sharing.

View attachment 170812
Artwork by Keith Rocco - Always Ready—The 9th New York Hawkin's Zouaves at Antietam http://www.militaryartcompany.com/keith_rocco_military_print_directory.htm

Marked kindness shown by members of the 9th New York Infantry (Hawkins' Zouaves) to a wounded member of the 2nd Georgia Infantry, near Burnside's Bridge, Battle of Antietam.

"I lost it," said the old soldier," at Antietam Creek, or rather Sharpsburg, on the 17th of September 1862. If you will listen, an old Confederate soldier will talk." I listened and thus ran his story.

I belonged to the Second Georgia, Toombs' brigade. I was on the extreme right of a few of us who were attempting to prevent Burnside from crossing the lower stone bridge. The fight was on; a ball passed through my thigh, and, while lying on the ground wounded, another ball passed through my right elbow joint. Our forces retreated and the Federals rushed across the creek. Wounded, bleeding, suffering as I was, it was a rare sight to see thousands of well-fed, well-clad soldiers occupying the ground just abandoned by the few ragged, hungry Confederates. The contrast struck me. A regiment of Federals halted near where I was lying. The officer made his men a short speech, which was cheered. Amidst this, I beckoned to an officer near me and requested that he would drag me on the other side of a tree hard by. He at once stepped back to the line and brought four men, who gently picked me up and placed me behind the tree, hastily spreading a blanket for me to lie upon. I requested to know whom to thank for the kindness. The reply was, 'We belong to the Ninth New York Regiment, Hawkins' Zouaves.' These four men hurried back to their places, and the command came from head of column, 'forward, march,' and Burnside's corps passed by.

Very soon an army surgeon came near me. I called to him. Fortunately, I was a Mason, for he was one. He said his name was Humphries**, surgeon of the Ninth New York Regiment. Dr. Squires,*** his assistant, was with him. I asked the surgeon if he could give me any temporary aid, remarking that he had as many of his own across the creek as he could attend to. His reply was that he was under as many obligations to me as to any man. He said he had been a surgeon in the Crimean War. He examined my wounds. He administered chloroform, and when I became conscious my leg was off and my arm bandaged.

In that fix I lay behind the tree. The shot and shell from the Confederate batteries were felling treetops and tearing up the ground all around me. Just before night, the firing ceased and the assistant surgeon, Dr. Squires, returned to me and stitched up the flaps of the amputated limb. There I spent the long night. My sufferings, mental and physical, were agonizing. The weather was hot. Loss of blood created thirst. Nearby, I could hear the rippling Antietam mocking me as I called aloud for water which came not.

As a last resort for water I used the grand hailing signal of distress. Some Yankee soldier heard my cry and filled my canteen with water from the creek.

The next morning about sunrise, an ambulance came for me, sent by Dr. Humphries, and took me some two miles to a farmhouse, where Dr. Humphries most tenderly cared for me. He brought a young man who he called Mac and said, 'Mac, I commit this young Georgian, and others to you.'

In some two weeks, we were removed to a field hospital. My friend Mac continued to wait on me as long as I remained, until the 24th of January, 1863. A nobler man than Paul J McLocklin never lived. While in the hospital, I became acquainted with several members of the Ninth Regiment, and was under the charge of Dr. Humphries until he left for the front, and Dr. Squires was put in charge. In time, I was moved to Frederick City, and I missed the men of the Zouaves.

On the 16th day of May, 1863, I was taken from Frederick City to Baltimore, thence to Fort Norfolk, thence to Fortress Monroe. Here I was transferred to a large steamer, the "Willow Leaf," and the guards on board were Ninth New York men. I was rejoiced. One-legged and maimed I was troubled to know when I reached City Point how I should climb the hill to reach the train that bore the exchanges to "Dixie," but the Ninth New York Zouaves saw me through on board the train.

After the war, Mac and I kept up a correspondence for many years. His letters ceased to come. I wrote again "to be returned to Lumpkin Georgia, if not called for in ten days." The post master at West Winsled, Conn. wrote back, "Your friend Mac died a few months ago." In the meantime, we had exchanged photographs and for years his picture has been hanging upon the wall in my bedroom. If I had money, I would go to Athens, for I want to see the men of the Ninth New York Regiment as I would my own Confederates.*****

*Private George W. Ard, Co K 2nd Georgia Infantry'; age 28, enlisted July 7, 1861 at Lumpkin Georgia; wounded September 17, 1862 at Antietam; Sent for exchange May 17, 1863. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/24888722/george-washington_lafayette-ard
** Surgeon George H. Humphreys, 9th New York (Hawkins' Zouaves); age 26, enlisted May 4, 1861 at New York City. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/83400116/george-hoppin-humphreys
*** Surgeon Truman H. Squire, 89th New York Infantry, age 38, enlisted Nov 29, 1861 at Elmira, NY. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/68972441/truman-h.-squire
**** Private Paul J McLocklin, 9th New York (Hawkins' Zouaves) age 18, enlisted Aug 20, 1861; wounded in action Sept 17, 1862 at Antietam; discharged for disability Feb 17, 1863 at Convalescent Camp, Va. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/55753690/paul-j-mclocklin
***** The survivors of the 3rd Georgia Infantry invited the survivors of the 9th New York (Hawkins' Zouaves,) whom they had faced in battle many times, to their 1892 reunion in Athens GA - about which I'll post later in a separate "Act of Kindness" thread.

Thanks for sharing! I recall reading of a Confederate officer, a member of Hood’s brigade and a soldier from the 5th NY were sharing the shade of a tree while waiting for a surgeon. This was 30 August, 1862 at Groveton. The confederate officer had the Union soldier transferred to the Confederate hospital were he was operated on for a bullet close to his spine. He recovered for a few days and then walked over 10 miles to Centreville. The Union soldier died from his wounds a few days later.
I like to think Nicholas Darrow Rogers, my deceased wife’s great grandfather was wounded at Groveton also received such compassionate care. Nicholas was exchanged after 3 days and remained hospitalized on Alexandria until his discharge 12/19/1862.

View attachment 170812

This is one of the reasons that I love about this site. The extraordinary steps taken by so many to research and report for the good of the findings made. I enjoy reading history and I never cease to be amazed at many of the stories of survival and compassion. Having seen the "elephant" myself, I was fortunate enough to have served with honorable men. Unlike some units during that conflict, revenge got the better of them and their buddies got the worst of it. War does bring out the worst and the best in us.

This is one of the reasons that I love about this site. The extraordinary steps taken by so many to research and report for the good of the findings made. I enjoy reading history and I never cease to be amazed at many of the stories of survival and compassion. Having seen the "elephant" myself, I was fortunate enough to have served with honorable men. Unlike some units during that conflict, revenge got the better of them and their buddies got the worst of it. War does bring out the worst and the best in us.
Thank you for your service!

Back