lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
1562074808454.png

Recalling personal experience at Gettysburg, Corporal William W Moore (Co. F 64th NYVI) in the Report of the Seventh Annual Reunion of the 64th N.Y. Regimental Association at Salamanca, New York, Aug. 21 and 22, 1895, Historical Sketches, Letters, Roster of Survivors", pg. 56-59:

"...I was wounded just at that time [he had captured a rebel flag, picked it up and then dropped it - this was immediately before Capt. Fuller was killed - a man much loved by all men in the 64th Regiment] by a shot which fractured my right thigh. The rebs were around me and over me in an instant, shouting 'we are whipping you-uns now,' which they found to be a mistake a few minutes later.

The regiment in front of the 64th in that fight was the 9th Georgia, under the command of the Lieutenant-Colonel. He gave me his name, but I have forgotten it. I shall always remember him and his regiment with the greatest gratitude for the many acts of kindness they bestowed upon me and other wounded Union boys near me. He bathed my wound from his canteen, took my canteen which was nearly new and filled it with fresh cold water. I was unable to move and he helped me to get behind a tree so I would not get hit by our own men.

He talked with me until very late that night. The next morning he came with more men and a stretcher and carried me to the stone-house where about a dozen other wounded Union men lay. We were all kindly treated. The last time I saw the Colonel we exchanged canteens and pocket-knives. He hesitated about the exchange because my canteen was much the best, but I insisted and he seemed pleased to get a good new canteen. I hope to meet him and other members of the 9th Georgia, at our National Encampment at St. Paul next September..."
http://www.9thgeorgiainfantry.org/wheatfield.html

Last edited by a moderator:
The 9thgeorgiainfantry website says this:

My thanks to Barbara Van Vlack, researching the 64th New York Infantry Regiment for sharing this with me. It appears Cpl. Moore had the Confederate rank of Col. and Capt. mistaken (understandable, as Rebel officers' rank were stars on the collar). He was probably writing about Capt. George Hillyer, acting as regimental commander of the 9th Georgia..........
Sorry for not including that in the OP.

At the risk of making more work for Mike and Ami there should be a POW ( rats, that doesn't turn out very well.... ) Post of the Week with blind nominations, just kind of a cool thing. With MUCH respect to all who contributed, this is mine.

Thanks very much for bringing it here Elliot- had been browsing while the dogs were eating their shaggy little heads off. Had to log in and 'like' this. A lot!

And keeping with Acts of Kindness, and the 9th Georgia Regiment:
This incident occurred the day after the Wheatfield on 3 July, 1863 (the day of Pickett's charge). The 9th (what was left of it after losing 56% in the Wheatfield) and the 11th Ga. regiments were ordered in to reinforce the 7th Ga. and 1st Texas defending Baughman's Battery on the extreme right of the Confederate lines from an attack by Kirkpatrick's (New York) Union Cavalry. The Union Cavalry was attacking what they thought was a sparsely defended battery, however, as the charge reached the battery, Georgia, Alabama and Texas regiments all converged on the Cavalry and the Union force was almost annihilated............. "It was July and the sun was immensely hot. In front of us was a wounded Yankee cavalry-man. He was crying piteously for water and we wanted to relieve him if we could, but it was as much as any man's life was worth to expose himself before the wall. You might put up your hat, and a bullet would strike it in less than a minute. Littleton Raines and Robert Upshaw, two of my men, were of the litter corps and had come up and laid down with us behind the rock wall. Their litter was bloody, but just enough white was left about it to make it barely possible that it might be used as a flag of truce. So I told Raines to try to bring in that wounded Federal and to wave a flag over the wall but nobody had a hankerchief, or at least one that was white, not even as white as the cloth of the litter. So I told Raines to hold his litter up over the wall and wave it back and forth. He did so, and in two or three minutes the firing from the enemy's sharpshooters slackened and finally ceased altogether. I then told Raines to get up on the wall and wave his litter, as if for a signal and some of the enemy stepped out in open view. Not a shot was fired at him or them. Upshaw, the other litter bearer, then joined Raines and they got over the wall and went to where the wounded Yankee was; brought him in and laid him down behind the wall and we gave him water and what comfort we could.........."
.......from George Hillyer's "Battle of Gettysburg: Address Before the Walton County Georgia Confederate Veterans", August 2nd, 1904.

Recalling personal experience at Gettysburg, Corporal William W Moore (Co. F 64th NYVI) in the Report of the Seventh Annual Reunion of the 64th N.Y. Regimental Association at Salamanca, New York, Aug. 21 and 22, 1895, Historical Sketches, Letters, Roster of Survivors", pg. 56-59:

"...I was wounded just at that time [he had captured a rebel flag, picked it up and then dropped it - this was immediately before Capt. Fuller was killed - a man much loved by all men in the 64th Regiment] by a shot which fractured my right thigh. The rebs were around me and over me in an instant, shouting 'we are whipping you-uns now,' which they found to be a mistake a few minutes later.

The regiment in front of the 64th in that fight was the 9th Georgia, under the command of the Lieutenant-Colonel. He gave me his name, but I have forgotten it. I shall always remember him and his regiment with the greatest gratitude for the many acts of kindness they bestowed upon me and other wounded Union boys near me. He bathed my wound from his canteen, took my canteen which was nearly new and filled it with fresh cold water. I was unable to move and he helped me to get behind a tree so I would not get hit by our own men.

He talked with me until very late that night. The next morning he came with more men and a stretcher and carried me to the stone-house where about a dozen other wounded Union men lay. We were all kindly treated. The last time I saw the Colonel we exchanged canteens and pocket-knives. He hesitated about the exchange because my canteen was much the best, but I insisted and he seemed pleased to get a good new canteen. I hope to meet him and other members of the 9th Georgia, at our National Encampment at St. Paul next September..."
http://www.9thgeorgiainfantry.org/wheatfield.html

Everytime I come across these "Acts of Kindness"/ 'truce flag' type stories, I struggle to see how they could then go back to business as usual shortly thereafter..... back to killing each other. Maybe they should have just arm wrestled and left the weapons at home.

I came across one the other day searching for info on the 1st/15th Ark. combined, at Cheatham Hill.

No doubt you've heard this one but:

"At one point in the battle on June 27, not far from the "Dead Angle" the Union frontal assualt had failed leaving hundreds of dead and wounded Union soliders between the Confederate works and the Union lines. The woods and brush between the two armies caught fire because of the gun fire and artillery. The fire began to creep toward the wounded soldiers. Lt. Colonel William P. Martin who was commanding the 1st and 15th combined Arkansas Regiments, jumped on the earthworks and ordered his Confederate soldiers to cease firing. He then waved a white flag of truce yelling to the Union soldiers to "come and get your wounded, they are burning to death." For a short time the Union and Confederate soldiers helped remove the wounded and put out the fires. The next day the Union generals presented Martin with two Colt Revolvers as a thank you for his humanitarian efforts. Later they began to fire at each other again."
- that text came a Civil war kids site. Lol.

Thanks for your intitial post!

I am starting to plan my itinerary for my fall or early winter Gettysburg trip. Over the years I have either found by accident or purposely planned to find "named" Gettysburg rocks. In the January 2017 Gettysburg magazine there was a nice article on the "Babcock Rock". I have not seen this rock yet but I will find it on my next trip.

I was going to start a new thread on the Babcock Rock until I discovered this excellent 2015 thread which in part discusses the rock. The Henry Fuller marker of the 64th NY is my favorite place on the battlefield to reflect in silence on the battle. So finding this Babcock Rock is a high priority for me.

This thread is well worth the read (or reread since it is 2 years old). I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

After 51 years of making 2-3 Gettysburg trips per year, one would think that there are no more "hidden" places to find on the battlefield. But these little gems keep cropping up making every trip exciting to see something new.

As to the original post, it's a great but vexing story. Mounger does fit, however he seems to have been mortally wounded fairly near the Emmitsburg Rd not long after the Brigade stepped off, much earlier than this account would indicate. Remember, for Hillyer to get command of the 9th, LTC Mounger, MAJ Jones, and at least one Captain, James McDonald King, (and probably one other) have to be out of action. If we believe Hillyer about when he assumes command.......and believing Hillyer's accounts gets trickier as time goes by, then that gives us a general timeline of when his superior officers were wounded. So, for my .02.........the mystery LTC is not Mounger.

Assuming the LTC designation is not a mistake, I would think the only LTC from Andersons Brigade who would qualify would be LTC William Michael Luffman of the 11th GA.

Known 64th New York casualties at Gettysburg:

Killed and mortally wounded
1st Lt. Willis G. Babcock (Co. G)
Orrin Barnes (Co. I)
Charles H. Burns (Co. G)
Chester A. Cadwell (Co. E)
Levi Carpenter (Co. D)
Corporal Wintworth E. Dudley (Co. E), died 7/22
Horace K. Dumond (Co. E)
Captain Henry D. Fuller (Co. F)
Clayton A. Gardner (Co. A)
Francis W. Howard (Co. D)
Morris Kenno (Co. K)
Alfred Lane (Co. B)
1st Lt. Alfred H. Lewis (Co. D)
George W. Marshall (Co. G), died 7/17
Roland L. Ormsby (Co. G), died 7/16
William E. Owen (Co. E)
John Salsbury (Co. E), died 7/6
Leroy Shippy (Co. C)
Corporal George S. Smith (Co. I), died 7/28
Corporal Edward Stone, Jr. (Co. D)
2nd Lt. Ira S. Thurber (Co. I)

Wounded
Albert Adams (Co. D)
Corporal James F. Caton (Co. G)
Sergeant Joseph Charlesworth (Co. C)
Corporal Dennis R. Cole (Co. H)
Chester P. Cronk (Co. D)
Captain Rodney R. Crowley (Co. B)
Sergeant John A. Darby (Co. A)
Sergeant Lyman Dean (Co. B)
Andrus Franklin (Co. B)
Sergeant Horace H. French (Co. F)
William H. Ganoung (Co. E)
Lewis S. Healey (Co. G)
Nicholas Herbig (Co. G)
Barney Hopper (Co. F)
Sergeant Simeon M. Ingraham (Co. K)
Myron Knuppenburg (Co. H)
Corporal Charles H. Mason (Co. I)
1st Lt. James J. Messervey (Co. C)
Leander Millspaugh (Co. D)
Corporal William W. Moore (Co. F)
Newell C. Morgan (Co. B)
Corporal Clark B. Orcutt (Co. E)
Adjutant James M. Pettit
Sergeant Horace Presher (Co. H)
Sergeant Samuel E. Preston (Co. F)
James Ray, Jr. (Co. D)
Andrew Reggles (Co. A)
1st Sergeant Ezra H. Shepherd (Co. E)
Benjamin H. Smith (Co. A)
Quartermaster Charles Soule
Sergeant William Spraker, Jr. (Co. I)
Sergeant Joseph Taylor (Co. E)
Orrin B. Wait (Co. B)
Tenny L. Walch (Co. B)
Ebon Willard (Co. B)
Daniel T. Wood (Co. K)

Captured
Andrew J. Banister (Co. D)
James Boyden (Co. B)
Read F. Clark (Co. A)
Stephen H. Curtis (Co. B)
Corporal Henry H. Darby (Co. A)
Cassius M. Ellis (Co. F)
Lyman Jeffords (Co. F)
Corporal Barnet B. Mosher (Co. B)
Corporal Lemuel Owen (Co. B)
Warren B. Persons (Co. D)
Emmett M. Prosser (Co. A)
Corporal Ephraim Russell (Co. F)
William Starkweather (Co. D)
John D. Watkins (Co. F)
Sergeant William H. Wemple (Co. C)
George W. Whipple (Co. F)

Ryan

Known 9th Georgia casualties at Gettysburg:

Killed and Mortally Wounded
Lt. Colonel John C. Mounger
James Freeman (Co. B)
T.J. Harris (Co. B)
T.L. Lyday (Co. B)
P.B. Millican (Co. B)
Thomas L.B. Atkinson (Co. C)
Jackson B. Giles (Co. C), courier for General Anderson
Thomas Michael (Co. C), died 7/20
Ephraim Prince (Co. C), wounded and captured, died 7/17
Cornelius H. Ragan (Co. C)
Warrenton Rogers (Co. C)
John F. Stephens (Co. C)
Sergeant Thomas E. McDowell (Co. D)
James W. Mann (Co. D)
Jack Croy (Co. E)
Moses Greenebaum (Co. E)
Joe Hough (Co. E), died 7/9
Sergeant J.C. Kendrick (Co. E)
Alexander A. McCrary (Co. E), wounded and captured, died 7/5
Jesse McCullar (Co. F)
William F. Nash (Co. G), wounded and captured, died 8/18
Harden H. Williams (Co. G)
Chestley Alderman (Co. I), wounded and captured, died 7/19
Joel S. Burch (Co. I)
James H. Hughes (Co. I)
Daniel R. Rigdon (Co. I)
Captain James M.D. King (Co. K), wounded and captured, died 11/4
John N. Edwards (Co. K)
William H. Edwards (Co. K)
Tillman J. Lewis (Co. K), died 7/5

Wounded
Adjutant John A. Jones
1st Lt. L.B. Millican (Co. B)
Jr. 2nd Lt. Augustus C. Perry (Co. B)
L.J. Scoggins (Co. B), also captured
R.A. Wood (Co. B), also captured
Sergeant Aaron Joseph (Co. C)
Corporal William G. Raines (Co. C)
Finny D. Brewer (Co. C)
James B. Easley (Co. C)
James B. Harris (Co. C)
Andrew J. McDonald (Co. C), also captured
Jasper McGauhey (Co. C), wounded and captured at Funkstown, MD, 7/12
Sampson M. Still (Co. C)
Robert A. Upshaw (Co. C)
William A. Vaughan (Co. C)
2nd Lt. John C. Hill (Co. D)
Jr. 2nd Lt. Charles R. Johnston (Co. D), wounded at Funkstown, MD, 7/12
Robert S. Brown (Co. D)
James A. Meeks (Co. D), also captured
Sergeant Samuel T. Fuller (Co. E), also captured
Z. Milton Price (Co. E)
Theophilus J. Fairfield (Co. F)
Patrick Kelly (Co. F)
Lewis Knowles (Co. F)
James C. Martin (Co. F)
Captain Edward F. Hoge, Jr. (Co. G)
Corporal Conway O. Calhoun (Co. G), also captured
Edmund S. Beard (Co. G), also captured
Elbert A. Beard (Co. G)
William C. Beard (Co. G)
William W. Bice (Co. G), also captured
Corporal James M. Caldwell (Co. G)
John A. Caldwell (Co. G)
Corporal Augustus A. Greathouse (Co. G), also captured
Sergeant Jacob C. Hart (Co. G)
George D. Hearn (Co. G)
Rufus B. Holloway (Co. G)
Joseph Kelly (Co. G)
John Mills (Co. G), also captured
Sergeant William H. Owens (Co. G)
Nathaniel G. Tally (Co. G)
1st Sergeant James S. Wardlaw (Co. G)
W. Henry Clifford (Co. H), also captured
Ebenezer Barnes (Co. I), also captured
Malachi H. Denmark (Co. I)
2nd Lt. William A. Cobb (Co. K)
Asa E. Ansley (Co. K)
Avery W. Cobb (Co. K)
James E. Stanford (Co. K), also captured
George P. Suber (Co. K), also captured
John A. Underwood (Co. K)
Harrison D. Watts (Co. K), also captured
Abram Wilkins (Co. K), also captured

Captured
Sergeant H.A. Brownfield (Co. B)
James Carwile (Co. B)
R.B. McKinney (Co. B)
J.J. Mead (Co. B)
M.G. Scoggins (Co. B)
William S. Brown (Co. C)
James W. Conner (Co. C)
John E.B. Green (Co. C)
John B. Perkins (Co. C)
Benjamin W. Sorrells (Co. C)
James W. Woodruff (Co. C)
Corporal Marion M. Irwin (Co. D)
William S. Johnson (Co. D)
Jr. 2nd Lt. Washington A. Johnston (Co. D)
Abner W. Jones (Co. D)
Sergeant Thomas J. Jones, Sr. (Co. D)
John A. Marion (Co. D)
John W. Owens (Co. D), captured at Greencastle, PA, 7/9
Jr. 2nd Lt. M.T. McCrary (Co. E)
Washington Cook (Co. E)
Robert Ellison (Co. E)
A.J. Fogarty (Co. E)
Robert H. Hammock (Co. E)
H.H. Harvey (Co. E)
James M. Sheppard (Co. E)
Hendley Snow (Co. E), deserted and captured