Accouterments of a 10th SC Soldier

Many years ago I came across this set of accouterments and took a chance on them and I am very glad I did. I recently posted pictures here for another topic on finials and decided to share with the larger audience.

The grouping consists of belt, buckle, canteen, cartridge box and cap box, originally came out of the family and has the name inscribed on the belt. What make this group unique are the carriage finials (sometimes known as button or coin finials), this type of finials was used by many small leather enterprises in North and South Carolina for militia units. These finials are found in early camp sites and battlefields. They are known as carriage finials as they would hold an awning or oiled canvas cover in place. Many "buggies" had convertible tops and as such would need to be removed for repair and replace, the finial and sewn grommet on the canvas or leather piece allowed for temporary attachment.

The harness and tack makers for the carriages figured out that these finials tough not ideal, served the purpose in closing the cap or cartridge box. What makes this set even more unique is the attribution of being the Southern made box for the Austrian rifled musket. There is no doubt that it gets its roots from a European box, most likely an English Enfield. Oh by the way, the 10th SC carried the Austrian Lorenz through the greater part of the war.

The buckle is a pre war cross belt plate fashioned into a waist belt buckle (puppy paw style) and fastened to what appears to be a captured Federal belt.

I have attached an article from the Fall of 1967 Issue of Company of Military Historians, describing a very similar box.

IMG_4577b.jpg
IMG_4578a.jpg
IMG_4579a.jpg
IMG_4580.JPG
IMG_4581a.jpg
IMG_4582b.jpg
IMG_4585a.jpg
img006 (2).jpg
The canteen is a simple tin drum militia style specimen.

Last edited:
Back