Acceptable alcoholic drinks for ladies during the Civil War?

I have a complete set of Victorian era undergarments - including the "split drawers" which I find rather awkward to wear. The corset doesn't bother me except to drive. My back actually feels better on days I have been doing living history/re-enactment when I have to wear it.
The drawers button in the back btw. Way more comfy that way..ask me how I know! Bwahahah!

Thanks for an entertaining topic @major bill !

Personally I don't think anything has changed.

Since the dawn of written history, the Ladies have been experts at hiding anything they wish to hide ....
Better yet, they are also experts at "rebranding".

Their Dad's moonshine became socially acceptable if it was called a "special tonic", "medicine" , ect.

I guess the best example would be from the old 1970's TV program The Waltons.
Two elderly 1930's Virginia aristocratic spinsters were still making their Dad's antebellum moonshine and selling it as "the Recipe".

:laugh:

Last edited:
Thanks for an entertaining topic @major bill !

Personally I don't think anything has changed.

Since the dawn of written history, the Ladies have been experts at hiding anything they wish to hide ....
Better yet, they are experts at "rebranding".

Their Dad's moonshine became socially acceptable if it was called a "special tonic", "medicine" , ect.

I guess the best best example would be from the old 1970's TV program The Waltons.
Two elderly 1930's Virginia aristocratic spinsters were still making their Dad's moonshine and selling it as "the Recipe".

:laugh:
I remember an episode where someone mentioned to them that it was “moonshine” their father made. ”Moonshine!“. “It isn’t Moonshine, but Sunshine, they said.” :giggle: They honestly didn’t understand it was illegal liquor.

I remember an episode where someone mentioned to them that it was “moonshine” their father made. ”Moonshine!“. “It isn’t Moonshine, but Sunshine, they said.” :giggle: They honestly didn’t understand it was illegal liquor.
" Sunshine"

:rofl:

I think I remember that episode.

I loved those two characters !
Miss Mamie & Miss Emily

And Grandfather Walton never turned down an invitation to visit them.

:bounce:

Alexandria, Va. 1860:
1629587983775.png

Springfield,Mass. 1869:
1629585971594.png
Was it, or was it not alcoholic? Clearly not the modern craft beer of that name.

Widely reprinted, Summer of 1866; names some drinks certain scandalous ladies were known to imbibe:
Cleveland_Weekly_Plain_Dealer_1866-08-15_1.png
Cleveland_Weekly_Plain_Dealer_1866-08-15_1 (3).png

Last edited:
Alexandria, Va. 1860:
View attachment 411656

Springfield,Mass. 1869:
View attachment 411650Was it, or was it not alcoholic? Clearly not the modern craft beer of that name.

Widely reprinted, Summer of 1866; names some drinks certain scandalous ladies were known to imbibe:
Very interesting article.

I really enjoyed the passage:
"In Dress Maker's bills. the significant item "small trimmings" often covers up the expense of liquors which the lady has ordered".

:rofl:

That's almost identical to the creative accounting within modern college sororities.
The girls like a good drink too, they just don't want their parents to know.

:bounce:

Back