Abraham Lincoln's Tomb

Wow, thanks for the awesome photos. Another place to add to my bucket list. Some day hopefully I will be able to start to visit of of these places, and clean out my list? :unsure:

Great pictures Bill especially the first one with that beautiful dark blue sky. This is one place among many others that I would like to visit at some point in my life. Thanks for sharing the interesting and informative pictures. David.

On this day in 1865, Abraham Lincoln, the 16th president of the United States, dies from a bullet wound inflicted the night before by John Wilkes Booth. Lincoln's death occurred six days after Confederate General Robert E. Lee surrendered his Army of Northern Virginia at Appomattox Court House, Virginia, effectively ending the American Civil War.

20190415_085601.jpg

I took this photo of a statue of Abraham Lincoln in 2017 inside his presidential museum in Springfield, Illinois. This artist definitely captured the face of a man which lead a nation through a civil war. Love him or hate him, I personally believe our nation would have crumbled if another man would have been elected to the position of President of the United States of America in 1860.

20190415_090142.jpg

Last edited:
I took this photo of a statue of Abraham Lincoln last year inside his presidential museum in Springfield, Illinois. This artist definitely captured the face of a man which lead a nation through a civil war. Love him or hate him, I personally believe our nation would have crumbled if another man would have been elected to the position of President of the United States of America in 1860.

View attachment 302791
You might be right about that, Bill.

The body of the President Abraham Lincoln rested in this vault from May 4th to December 21st, 1865, in Springfield, Illinois. It was then moved to another temporary vault that no longer exists today. His body was kept there until another vault was completed in 1874, only to be moved yet again in 1876. Why so many moves? Grave robbers! Body-snatching was a major problem in the 19th-century, mainly because it was so lucrative. Bodies were stolen from cemeteries and sold to hospitals for experimentation, or if the deceased was well known, the body could be held for ransom. Yes, many attempts were made to snatch the body of Abraham Lincoln in the hopes of holding his remains for ransom. One group of criminals managed so far as to saw off the bottom portion of Lincoln’s sarcophagus before being apprehended. Eventually the body of the president was moved once again and buried under 10 feet of cement at Oak Ridge, where it is still located today. The original receiving vault can still be viewed with a little walk through the cemetery, down some steps, and around the bottom side of a hill. It is an interesting site to see, and reflect on the strange journey of the famous president’s remains.

FB_IMG_1556971258660.jpg

FB_IMG_1556971270581.jpg

On this day in 1865, John Wilkes Booth, an actor and Confederate sympathizer, fatally shoots President Abraham Lincoln at Ford’s Theatre in Washington, D.C. The assassination occurred five days after Confederate General Robert E. Lee surrendered his Army of Northern Virginia to Lt. General Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox Court House, Virginia (April 9th, 1865).

20200414_061920.jpg

Back